Exhaust System DPF problem

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Zoot, Sunday 13th Oct, 2013.

1. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    My 2013 (March) CR-V EX diesel manual has just had the DPF warning light (take to dealer) come on yesterday evening for the second time in 19 days. First time I was only about 400yds from a Honda dealer and they forced a regen and updated the ECU. The car had its first service on Thursday (126200mls) with no problems reported. On both occasions there was no prior warning to the take to dealer warning. With the miles that I do, obviously there is no problem regarding the operating temp being hot enough.

Ah we'll, off to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully get a result.

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: 2013 DPF problem

What mileage do you do a day by the way? Im pretty certain no ones ever had the warning light come on.

3. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds

It depends - usually anything from 50 to sometimes 225.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You really shouldnt be having a problem with that mileage. Before my car was remapped I only did 40 miles a day non motorway and I never had a problem. Now mapped its still been fine. It my be a faulty DPF or wrong oil used? Keep us posted on the outcome:Thumbup:

I do find it funny that my friends 2009 Nissan Note DCI that apparently has a DPF, is used just to potter about town and has had zero DPF issues since buying it from new and still gets 55mpg!! Hopefully these Honda updates will fix the problems but only time will tell now.

5. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds

Bit miffed! Went to the local dealer where I purchased the car and gues what - too busy to see what the problem is or do a regen today, but I could take it to their Bradford dealership who could do the work this morning. Took the car to Bradford and received excellent service. They saw the car right away, did the regen and software updates and after 108 miles it it running perfectly.When the handbook states to take the vehicle to a Honda dealer and they cannot deal with it what does one do? Lets hope the problem is now cured.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats disgusting that the dealer who sold you the car was "too busy".

I'd be making a formal complaint about their poor post-sale customer service. BTW, I've not had any issue with the DPF on my CR-V (same model as yours). First in fact that I have heard of this too. And I do a heck of a lot of stop-start-pottering-about short runs on the weekends too.

Crazy. Just hope it doesnt flag up again for you :Thumbup:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

TOO busy let me guess Stratstone Honda. The worlds worst Honda dealer in the world .. You need to speak to HUK zoot.

8. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent

New here so I hope this question has not already been asked.

I have a new CR-V, 2.2 diesel manual, with about 3000 miles done now, mostly motorway. I have noticed on a couple of occasions a burning, sort of rubbery smell, shortly after getting home from a motorway run. No warning lights, temperature gauge normal. Once, after turning the ignition off the fan stayed on for a while.

After Googling for similar problems it seems that there is no problem - its just the DPF doing its thing. Hopefully you agree!

Phil P

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Phil head over to the wiki section and the 4th Generation CR-V this is mentioned. What you are experiencing is a regen happening on the car and that smell and the fan running is quite normal.

10. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent

Cheers CJ

Phew!

Phil

Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats the good ol DPF regen kicking in. Most of the time it happens when you're driving and never notice it. Honestly, you neednt worry. Its a Honda - nothing catastrophic will happen like on a Deutschland-mobile that like to break down more often than alcoholics do at an AA meeting :Rolf: