Exhaust System DPF Programming

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by adamtys, Wednesday 25th Nov, 2015.

1. adamtys Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I will have my DPF replaced for a new one in Honda dealership. They told me that it will cost about £100 (labour cost only as I'm supplying the part) plus that they need to program DPF. Does anybody know if DPF needs to be programmed?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I assume they are saying that your cars software needs to be update, yes that should be done if it isn't upto date.

Is your car not under warranty, should be done free of charge if it is.

@adamtys I notice you haven't introduced yourself to the community. It's customary for new members to do this, please drop by the Introduce Yourself and say a few words about yourself and your car.

3. adamtys Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    It is not under warranty and had regeneration done about 3 weeks ago. I think they should put new software back then if it was required. On the phone he said that they need to program new part after it has been installed. I think they might just trying to squeeze bit more money from me as I didn't buy £975 part from them.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not so he to on this topic, @Zebster or @Ichiban do you what the process is for new DPF installation?

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Sorry, I don't know. But maybe the additional cost of any software upgrade/coding of the new DPF to the ECU won't actually cost much?

Why have it done at a Honda dealer if you feel they're squeezing money from you in some sort of underhand way?

6. adamtys Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Because my local garage couldn't change the low beam light bulb (true story), so I thought that it will be safer to go to Honda with job like DPF change. I know that DPF change is about an hour labour (around £100) if they charge me more I can question them what the extra was for. If they say it for software update than fair enough. I'll update what has happened tomorrow. Thanks for help anyway.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Good luck.

8. Kristian Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Kristian Stokmarknes
    I had my DPF replaced this summer at an authorized Honda dealer. After replacing your DPF the mechanic do need to hook your car up to HDS, to reset the DPF in the ECU. It is as simple/non-time consuming as resetting any other service indicator. It is Just to let your car know the DPF is brand new, and in my opinion a smart thing to get done. The shop is not trying to hassle you for money!

Nels and jimjams like this.
  9. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    He has to have it done at the Honda dealer, he got the part free from Honda UK, they don't just give you the part,it goes to the desler.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    In his opening post, adamtys said that he was supplying the replacement part.

11. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I stand corrected.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Understandable. You'd reasonably expect that Honda would provide a free DPF replacement for a certain period, given their extended warranties for previous diesel engine weaknesses, such as exhaust manifolds and timing chains...