Exhaust System DPF Warning Light Again!

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Zoot, Thursday 28th Nov, 2013.

1. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Once again the DPF exclamation warning light has come on again with no warning whatsoever. This is the 3rd time in 3 months! 24 Sept, 14 Oct and today. I've had regents done at Honda dealerships twice (Huddersfield & Bradford) and now taking the car in tomorrow to see what the problem can be. The car was bought new on 22 March this year and has done 15534 miles, with normally the mileage being over 100 every journey, so I can't see it being lack of temperature to blame.

I has also had the latest ECU software update.

Has anyone any ideas?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What oil is in your car?It should be low saps oil,see here http://hondakarma.com/threads/29/.
    Sound like your DPF is knackered and it will need changing but very strange on such a young car.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    It must have correct oil if only done 15k sounds like duff DPF filter they will change free of charge.

4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Thanks for your info. I must admit I think there must be a serious fault with the DPF. Regarding the oil, the car was supplied new from a Honda main dealership and has had 1 service at 12500 miles, again by a Honda main dealer so I cannot see the oil being a problem.

Also my previous car (Hyundai IX35 Premium) also had a DPF and I had no problems with that.

I'll see what the garage tells me tomorrow and keep you updated.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How sure are you that the dealership is using the correct oil ? By the looks of it you already made up your mind that is the DPF, since it been regenerated three times in a row means there is a fundamental issue in how you use the car . Can you please enlighten us how you uses the car how frequently use it and what diesel fuel you are using. And by the way that a massive thread on DPF regeneration please have a look at that you will find all your answers.

However if you still feel that you still haven't found all the answers and you need more reassurance or you are unable to find the answers from your dealer please ask ...

6. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    CJ many thanks for your input. I have indeed studied the thread that you mention and it was a great help. I use Shell Diesel and I refuse to use supermarket fuel. Regarding that I have made up my mind re the DPF, the reason for that is that it only started clogging up after 6 months and also my previous car had no DPF problems after owning it from new for 2 & 1/2 years.

Regarding the dealer using the correct oil - yep, that is an assumption. I would assume a Honda main dealer would use the correct oil, and yes, I know one should not rely on assumptions! The car is used at least 4 times a week and as said previously the mileage is usually a minimum of 100 miles. The car is not used for town driving.

I hope to get the problem solved tomorrow with any luck and I will let you know the outcome. I was wondering if any other CR-V owners had experienced the same problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Just been informed by the dealer that Honda UK have requested a number of tests to be carried out on the car and forwarded electronically to HUK for their tech dept to analyse what the problem is. As it's the weekend, the result will be sometime next week hopefully!

Impressed with HUK investigation process.

Will keep you updated with the results.

7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    The dealer forwarded the test results that HUK requested and a reply came back by return - this is a known fault and HUK are writing a new software update to resolve the problem. If it happens again before the new update arrives and is downloaded, I've to take the car to any Honda dealership for a regen to be carried out. My dealer carried out a regen today to enable me to use the car.

I would imagine HUK will act swiftly. My dealer said another 4th Generation CR-V is booked in for the same thing tomorrow and other dealers have had the same.

Again, I'll keep you all updated.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is such a weird thing to have happen.

On the weekends, I use/abuse my CR-V on endless stop/start journeys and havent once had a DPF issue at all.

9. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Now after the DPF warning light with exclamation mark coming on 5 times, the new updated software has finally been downloaded to my CR-V. The last twice the garage regens have lasted 5 days and 7 days - I sincerely hope the problem is now sorted. Along with this problem I had 2 bonnets with what looked like water marks and that took 3 re sprays to get the colour correct!

I did did change to Honda due to their reliability and quality reports but I'm a bit disappointed at present. I certainly did not expect to purchase a £31000 new car and for it to spend so much time in the dealers.

It is a good car but let's hope this is now the end of the problems and that I can now start to really enjoy the car without worry. :Unknown:

10. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I have the identical car and it has just had its first service. It has been totally trouble free and although all of my journeys have been
    urban I have had no DPF problems. I had my previous car - Honda Accord I-CTDI EX Tourer - for almost nine years without any problems. You have been unlucky and I hope all goes well from now.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Zoot - your car is so new - like Robbie and you, I have the same model.

I would perhaps tell your dealer that if the DPF comes on again, you want a replacement because its clear the one you have won't be fit for purpose. You have given them chances to remedy it - but if no cure works, you have a strong base upon which to demand a new one.

As you say, for a £30k-plus car, and a Honda, you expect a degree of bombproofness - lets just hope that the software update now solves the problems once and for all. :Thumbup:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda have released a new DPF software update just for the CR-V which addresses the calibration error caused excessive particulate matter to accumulate in the DPF.

This will address some of the issues seen on a few cars but a major revision for the CR-V is coming soon. Zoot I would use another dealer the one in Leeds has been under performing for year and they are not fit for purpose.

13. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Having experienced DPFproblems with my previous car (Accord 8th Generation ES GT) and ending up with a new DPF filter before swapping to my current Petrol CR-V , I wonder how many of us sufferers drive to the economy lights fitted to our cars( the up / down arrows that advise you when to change gear for best economy)?
    I know that it is widely recognised that the latest generation diesels are in effect designed for high mileage / motorway drivers who because of this factor allows the engine to create enough heat to break up the carbon in the DPF, but I am sure that some of these drivers are also conscious of the fuel savings to be made by driving with a lighter right foot. As the economy lights are designed by Honda to give you a better economy, presumably drivers wishing to save fuel are guided by these lights . It would be interesting to find out how many of the members who have suffered with DPF problems use the economy lights to save fuel! Could following these advisory lights be contributing to the DPF failures. As someone who likes to drive smoothly and economically I can say that I for one would fall into this category.

regards
    Mike c

14. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Many thanks for the comments guys - that's one of the things I do like about this fab club, the support that the members give to each other. Much appreciated.

CJ - do you know what the major revision coming soon covers? I've also had the same thoughts re the dealer. With the number of times I've been at the dealers I thought I'd be invited to the staff Christmas party! LOL :Happy:

15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Since I have had my CR-V I have only driven it locally, due to my knee problems, and the Econ mode is permanently on. I have not had any problem with the DPF. Normally, I would be taking my caravan away but have not been able to do so.

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Zoot this new update for the CR-V has been acknowledged to be a temporary fix as they are working to address the bizarre DPF issues only impacting a few CR-V.. as soon as its released I will update everyone.

17. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    CJ - many thanks for your reply. Would it be possible for you to PM me with some suggestions re a dealer who has the proper Honda ethos and enthusiasm? If you can, it will be most appreciated.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going by the forum affiliations and reviews Holdcroft Honda based in Stoke would definitely be a recommended Honda dealer, along with Phoenix Close (independent dealer).

Ichiban likes this.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Holdcroft Honda in Stoke.

Thats where I got my 4th Generation CR-V from.

TOP TOP guys. No praise is enough - they ARE that good. :Happy:

Last edited: Wednesday 18th Dec, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  20. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    DPF Warning Light Has Illuminated

Took Henry to the vet this afternoon and when I returned to the car the DPF light came on. It is not the one to regenerate the DPF, but the one that needs to be taken to the dealer. Just waiting for the dealer to return my call.