General Dpf yet again

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Alano, Friday 8th Apr, 2016.

1. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Moved to rural Lincolnshire 6 weeks ago so now I'm hardly using the car. Yesterday while driving back from the local shops I got the dreaded DPF light up
    image. So phoned the local Honda dealership and booked it in for a regeneration. Took it in this morning and to cut a long story short paid £102 for the regen and came away having traded in my car for a PETROL model which i pick up Monday. Bloody diesels more trouble than they're worth

FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What model are you getting? Don't fjrget to add it to the garage

3. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Same as i've got 2012 ex with 29000 on clock. I'll update my garage when i get it

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It's the right thing to do @Alano if you aren't doing the mileage any more.

:congratulations: on your new CR-V. Looking forward to pictures...

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So the dealer let you pay for the regen BEFORE then taking advantage of your concerns to sell you a new car?

6. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Not really. I'd paid and was on my way out when i spotted the petrol CR-V on the forecourt so i went back in just out of curiosity to see what a swap would cost. They offered me a good deal so i bit the bullet and bought it
    - - - Updated - - -
    Dealers photo of new car
    image.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That looks like a real beauty @Alano :Thumbup:

Polished metal metallic? Whatever colour it is, it really suits it.

Excellent. :GoodJob:

Alano likes this.
  8. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Pleased my v doesn't have one of the dam things petrol will be my choice next, diesels are far too complex these days

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

To be fair @chunkymonkey if they are regularly serviced and have regular long runs they are fine. I never had an issue with my 8th Generation Accord as it was on the motorway at least twice a week for 300 miles.

But, when I knew my mileage was going to drop it had to go to avoid DPF issues - hence my petrol CR-V.

Diesel is fine IMHO as long as the miles justify it. Otherwise just save yourself the hassle and go petrol as you say.

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

And that's exactly the point.

Diesels are suited to longer journeys. It's not just about annual mileage, as you can clock up the numbers with lots of short trips. You need a good proportion of longer trips.
    That's why I went for petrol this time. I just don't travel as much by car anymore.

11. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do some long journeys probably at least a couple of times a month but I retire in around 5 years so will probably go petrol then but I will still be young so I may get another job or still do some decent journeys. Im just not a fan of all the stuff bolted to a modern disesel but as has been said if you do the correct journeys they are fine, I like to keep mine well serviced with the dealer and oil changes in between so that won't be a problem its more a case of will I actually be able to justify another diesel.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I guess it depend on how you will use it @chunkymonkey. If you have another car for shorter trips and keep the diesel mainly for longer ones?

In 5 years time who knows what the government will add in levies/taxes/penalties for diesel.

13. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mrs Chunky has a diesel we bought new a couple of years ago so we will be keeping that until it's days are up so that will do for the long runs, and in my experience our wonderful idiots in Westminster could come up with anything!

Nels likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Thumbup:

Alas, you a so right about that! :depressed:

15. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Picked the new car up today drives like a dream. Its been really well looked after can't find a mark on it. Will add it to club garage when i figure out how to swap my old one for new one
    image. image. image.

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

From your garage entry, click Edit.
    On the dropdown list, change from Daily Driver to Previously Owned.

17. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers @Nels have now added it to garage :Thumbup:

FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

All the best with the petrol variant

20. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Fortunately my 58 diesel does not have a DPF, when the time comes for an up grade, will probably go to petrol.

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.