Reviews "Dr. Colourchip" paint repair system

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by FirstHonda, Tuesday 1st Jul, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Further to my other thread about stone chips, I received my Dr. Colourchip kit this morning.

I ordered the "Squirt & Squeegee" repair kit at £64.99, which took about 10 days to arrive. This kit is marketed as being able to treat 100's of chips. Kits to treat fewer chips are available at a lower cost.

The kit contains paint (marked with the correct Honda paint code), the blending solution, three small brushes, two cloths, the squeegee (which you smear the paint into the chips with) and a rubber glove (see pictures enclosed).

HPIM0496.JPG HPIM0497.JPG HPIM0498.JPG

The instructions are comprehensive, although the process sounds very simple. Put on the paint next to the chip, smear it across the chip, allow to dry then wipe away excess with the blending solution. The brushes can be used for bigger chips.

I'm planning to wash the car and have a go with this, mainly on my front bumper and the leading edge of the bonnet, during w/c 14th July. Once I've used it, I'll post some pictures and opinions on this thread.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Looking forward to seeing the results and getting your feedback about this system.
    Many thanks for trying it and sharing the results.

Good luck :Niceone:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for doing this matey , awaiting your results and no doubt before and after images . If this is successfull I can see all Honda car owners getting it sooner rather than later.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Give the man a gold medal Honda coffe mugs that will get you into my good books! :Hooray:

DeviateDefiant and FirstHonda like this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    thats a typo is that ! , but 23 people fell for it thou.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

So, this morning I washed the car before it got too blisteringly hot (it was already showing 80 degrees here at 09.00am!) and then used "Dr. Colourchip" on a variety of chips to see what results I could get.

I'm afraid there aren't any 'photos with this. I did try, but they didn't really show up any useful detail, so you'll just have to trust my words...:Whistle:

What's good..?
    - The instructions supplied are very clear, and easy to follow.
    - The colour match of the supplied paint is excellent.
    - It is a quick and simple process, as the product promises.
    - For very small chips, on metal parts of the body (bonnet, wings etc.) it works very well.

What's not so good..?
    - On larger chips, it doesn't work so well. Or at all, frankly!
    - On the plastic of the bumper, it is pretty much hopeless - the paint just doesn't want to "bond" with the plastic and I tried different time periods before wiping off the excess with the special "blending" liquid. Same issue on the wing mirrors. Which is not something that they make clear.

Verdict
    I'd give it 5/10, which surprises me a bit given the other reviews I've read online, but there you go - I can only go on my experience. It isn't worth the money IMHO.

TBF they do make it clear that it is better for smaller chips, but for larger chips you are back to dabbing paint in as you would with a normal touch up pen (again, they do mention this on their website), as the paint just won't fill when you try to smear it across. Even on the smaller chips, I think you get just as good a result with a normal touch up and a cocktail stick, albeit it takes (quite a bit) a bit longer.

Nels likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A real shame it wasn't up to expectations @FirstHonda :Frown:

Thanks for trying and letting us know. :Smile:

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

At least it has tidied up the leading edge of my bonnet and was nice and quick.

I'll keep using it for the rest of the Summer to see whether I can refine the technique with a bit of experimentation, and report back!!

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great idea. If it does the job to a good standard on the bonnet, all is not lost.
    My bonnet has it's fair share of small chips. If it clears them up, I'd be a happy bunny.

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Agree - like I said, it did work well on small chips on metal areas of the body - but again, with a bit of patience, a touch up kit, and a cocktail stick, I think you can get just as good a result for a lot less than the £70 the kit cost me!!

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In that case, I will try the cocktail stick method... when I get some time. :Grin:

13. Stephen Jones New Member Getting Started

Stephen
    Why should we have to buy colour chip products in the first place . I own from new a 59 plate Civic Type-R and the stone chips on this car look like the car has been sand blasted.I hasten to add I have looked after the car as it was the first new car I have ever owned. I am personally not convinced that they are all stone chips.The paint is so thin and basically not fit for purpose. I am so disappointed , I have taken the car back to the main dealer every year for its service and they have never once accepted any responsibility for the shoddy finish on the car until now. The paint on the roof near the top of the windscreen is cracked and going rusty. I have asked them for specifications on how thick the paint should be on the car and received no answer.I think we should all gather together and confront Honda about their rubbish paint on their cars.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IIRC Honda will repair rust near windscreen foc on Civics
    Again can't copy and paste from my useless phone but found this.
    As for stone chips we all suffer from it.My front bumper and bonnet is horrible but not a lot I can do about it rather then stay further back from vehicle's in front.
    Screenshot_2014-09-16-14-38-28.

15. Stephen Jones New Member Getting Started

Stephen
    Thanks for the reply and I am already aware that Honda will repair the windscreen rust,but,I still think we should be asking for paint depth specifications. I have owned 3 red cars during my driving career and this proxy Civic is the worst by far. It's got to the stage where I'm scared to wash it in case it changes colour and I definitely don't go over 24 mph in case the wind gets under the paint and peels it off like a man wearing a wig driving an open top car. Whilst I am here, how long do other peoples gear stick gaiters last? Mine lasted 2years! I wouldn't let them paint my wife's nails and I will definitely never be owning another Honda car,lawn mower ,spray gun or sink plunger.

image.

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Grow up, we both know that neither of scenarios are going to occur (unless your wash the car with a wirebrush etc).

As for your actual question re the paint depth, even if you got the answer you're still going to whine about how thin it is etc, you're better off selling and letting somebody else enjoy it.

Also its fair to say you've gone off topic - pls start a new thread, you will get a better response.

17. Stephen Jones New Member Getting Started

Stephen
    It's only fair that all the facts are out there so any poor soul considering buying one of these cars is in possession of all the facts. And you also seem to be unable to recognise veiled humour when you read it.*********

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 17th Sep, 2014
  18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well this is going down a bad path....

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You've had the car since new so that's 4 years now and you still haven't done anything about it! So all you want to do now is for members to "confront" Honda for shoddy paintwork when it seems that you're the only one with the issue.

Secondly why don't you just start a new thread instead of commenting on a review for a product, or is the concept of an online forum so hard to understand that your hair is falling out (oooh I used veiled humour there).

Finally, adding an expletive to the end of your sentence doesn't make your argument more valid and if anything makes you look like an cretin.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've not had any real issues with stone chips with any of my Hondas bit I am aware the paint is a little thinner than some other makes so I just take care if using cutting compounds or machine polishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.