Tyres & Wheels Dragging God awful noise

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Thursday 21st Jul, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    About a month a go my wife said the car made a noise like the car was dragging a bush so she pulled over and nothing was there.
    I questioned and she said it was while going right around a roundabout.

Being Milton Keynes I took the car out and couldn't replicate it.

Today and many miles later I had the exact same brown pants moment while going right on a roundabout.
    As soon as I straighten up the noise is gone.

I pull over, nothing's hanging, no leaks smell and all seems fine again.

It sounds like a mudflat dragging on the Tarmac. - used to have this with a 3rd Generation Astra.

Could an out of line rear wheel dragging cause such a scary noise?

If I didn't know better I would say it was a bearing grinding but surely it would flag up more frequently.

One thing I've noticed is both rear tyres were new when I got the car and now the rear right is close to illegal.
    In MK right tyres are common for wear due to the roundabouts.

I'm happy to get a 4 wheel laser alignment but should I get the rear adjustable camber arms fitted first. Have you had them fitted and noticed a difference?

2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had something similar. For me it was the brake disc dust shield scraping the disc. And it was worse going round corners.

I think it only happened after I replaced the rear disc, perhaps I leaned and bent the shield when installing the discs and pads or the new ones are thicker.

My resolution was to use the handle on a hammer and push the shield back. Wheels can stay on.

Auto Ali and Bones126 like this.
  3. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks @DieselPower ill push them back tomorrow.
    I've had a shield touch a disc on a cavalier but that made more of a scratching rather then a rumble.
    Also what would make it so intermittent?
    I have had rear discs done recently.

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mmmm it could be a slightly different issue. Sometimes a stone gets in between the shield and the disc and causes a rumble. I think the shield is thin and flimsy enough for it to change under the force of going round a corner.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok I haven't adjusted the rear dust covers yet but the noise happened again today with both of us in the car and my wife said she could feel it under her feet.

So it must be the front left doing something.
    Everytime it's happened is after a right turn and my left strut does click as if the top mount bearing is gone.

6. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom scigo United Kingdom
    I can also add to this as this happens twice to me very randomly. On one occasion a mate who is a car mechanic was in passanger seat could also here it. We stopped but could not find anything and we checked it the next day as well but no fault found. I have subsequently booked it in a garage and they did not found any faults either. Neither they not I can replicate the noise again. Rather unusual behaviour.

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

All I can think is eventually it'll get worse. But it really is as if a differential is stripping itself but as soon as I hear it it's gone

8. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

26th Aug just over a month later now the mileage is 64107 (going to keep a log of how frequent)
    A full tank of gas and turning right off a roundabout.

This time it went and came back but felt like the rear middle of the car.

The best way to describe it is like skidding on gravel but not as loud.

9. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom scigo United Kingdom
    I meant to write here the other day as I had the noise again similar to RobsyUK above when driving trough the roudabout going right. It sounded to me this I had somethig wrapped around my wheel. It lasted 1-2 seconds and was gone as soon as I was out of the roundabout. I spoke to someone and they suggested it could be CV boot (at least I think it is called like this) I will get it checked in the garage one again next week

RobsyUK likes this.
  10. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Another update (want to keep posting to show how regular it is)

Today I had it happen again.

Previously I've felt it on the front left and it's even felt like the rear.

With it happening more and more frequently it's defiantly the front.

I did notice for the first time The warning triangle flashed for as long as the vibration / grinding lasted after turning right.
    This time it was a normal road.

I know my front discs are low, could the caliper be catching or something?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That sound like the ABS kicked it on the front left tyre.

Was the surface road slippery ?

What condition are your front tyres in ?

12. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The road is perfect and the tyres have around 7mm.
    If the ABS kicked in then surly I'd slow down? There's so feeling of breaking etc. It really is as if someone throws something like an engine tray under the car and it's being dragged underneath but at the front.

Previously I've had it on gravel, dry, wet , heatwave cold.. but always either while turning right or coming out of a right turn.

13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting one this, I had simular a while back and it sounded as if it was coming from the rear. Like you I thought it was a wheel bearing on the way out but the car has passed 2 MOT's since I heard it.
    Things I noticed when I heard it (not heard it for a while though) was, the car has always been full of people, also going around corners. So, is it the car sitting down under weoght and the camber of the wheel rubbing on the inner arch or inner arch plastic guard. If it's happening a lot there would be signs of rubbing. Worth a check inside the wheel arches for these signs.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Does the car feel unbalanced when the noise occurs?

15. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The car always feels like an oil tanker @Nighthawk and I'm not really going fast enough to feel any untoward.

And I was thinking a similar thing @bones I do want to say it's more when the tank is full but I've heard it when alone or both of us in the car.

It definitely feels like a guard has fallen down on the wheel .

16. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I still think it could be a bearing that only makes a noise when under sideways pressure. There is a lot of weight in the the car alone and when load with a full tank probably wieghs as much as a petrol tanker lol

17. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I hope so bones as it's a cheaper fix then a drive shaft.
    All plastic trim are not rubbing and there's no signs of damage.
    I'll test the wheels again on Sunday

Bones126 likes this.
  18. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Mentioning the ABS and wheel bearings I think the ABS sensor ring is part of the bearing, so a possibility the bearing is on the way out and causing the ring to deflect slightly which causes the ABS to slightly brake that tyre. The rumbling noise being the ABS pump and bearing combined. Pure conjecture but just ran through my head as a possibility.

Bones126 likes this.
  19. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Didn't get a chance to do it today but tomorrow looks good.

I'm going to put the rear wheels on the front to squeeze some life out of the rears and I'll test the bearings then.
    Thinking about it I did have a problem with my rear brakes being locked on.
    This probably fried the bearings. But the grind is so intermittent that even intermittent to too frequent.

Did it today after filling up and turning right.

20. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

***UPDATE***

The rear drivers side bearing is on its way out.
    There's a tiny bit of play in the wheel, the inner edge of the tyre is wearing and the alloy in the middle is warm after a drive, the other wheel is cold.

From what I've read I could change the bearring myself but don't have a torque wrench.

I've found the bearing at euro car parts cheap enough and although everyone says go to Honda the euro one says JNJ like the Honda ones so it was made in Japan.

The grease inside it probably fried from when I purchased the car with the rear brake Issues. (Constantly on)

I always assumed the drone noise from the rear was normal from an FR-V (like a van sound) as I've always had cars with performance exhausts.

Only thing now is if I take it to a garage are they going to assume they will need to press the bearing out and charge way over the odds?