Engine & Gearbox Dreaded Slipping Clutch DMF Failure

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Robaloy, Thursday 31st Oct, 2013.

1. Robaloy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2009 2.2 I DTEC Accord Tourer that I bought in March this year from Main Honda Dealer with an Approved Honda Warranty, now admittedly the car had done 92k and this was my only concern when buying the car but I was assured that the car was sound and being a Honda they rarely go wrong. However having only had the car 6 months and having done about 5k of steady economical driving I have noticed a slight clutch slip especially in 3rd/4th gear, so at my service/MOT last week (at a different Honda dealer) I asked them to look at the clutch. I got a call later that day to say my clutch was on it's way out and the DMF was "knocking" and would need to be replaced as well as the clutch at a cost of £1930!!!!!! Having picked myself up from the floor I then informed them that it was an approved Honda car and still had 5 months of warranty left so they said they would contact the warranty company and get back to me. I then got a call saying that they would have to drop the gearbox remove the clutch and DMF and take photos to show the warranty company if the damage had been caused by abuse, reckless driving or neglect etc but they still would not commit to stumping up for the full cost of replacing as they consider the clutch to be a wearing part lol (had several cars with over 100k on clock never had a clutch problem) but surely the DMF is not a wearing part and therefore should be changed under warranty but I'm sure they said they wouldn't change one without the other, so surely they should change both under warranty! This is my 1st Honda and loved it until now, I bought it to be a reliable family car after the Renault nightmare I've had for the last 6 years and now it looks like my Honda is heading the same way! Any thoughts on how I should handle this as I'm sure Honda want to help but the insurers are not playing ball?!!

Rob :SOS:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It depends what kind of life your car had prior to your ownership. If it been canned then not the car fault and to be honest at that mileage if it has been canned they will show the symptoms as your are facing.

On a I-CTDI the clutch will start to slip in 30k miles if you cane it.:Rolf: but that a different story.

Fingers crossed the Honda warranty come to your aid..provided the previous owners hasn't abused it.

3. Deerfoot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In my experience Honda are very good at goodwill payments. They`ve contributed 50% of the cost of new driveshafts on my last CR-V (2 years out of warranty) and paid for a new tailgate motor on my old Accord Tourer (also out of warranty). Both my cars had full Honda history.

You`ll need to get the dealer on your side with the claim if you`re going to get anything out of the warranty company.

I can`t help thinking though that at 90,000 miles it`ll be considered fair wear and tear and you`ll be stumping up for the repairs.

Good luck!

4. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Isnt this exactly the reason why people buy Approved used .. for the peace of mind etc? Regardless of how the previous owner drove it, Robaloy has placed trust in Honda AUC so surely its down to Honda to fix it, one way or the other.

Never had anything go wrong on this or the previous Hondas I've owned but a friend was helped a great deal when his I-CDTI turbo blew out of warranty by Honda in Sutton Coldfield.

5. Robaloy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, have to agree with cred and say regardless of how many miles it's done and how it was driven before I owned it, I bought it from a dealer with Approved car warranty for the peace of mind that should give me, I do believe the dealer is on my side, just hope insurers see it that way!!!:Unknown:

Last edited: Friday 1st Nov, 2013
  6. Robaloy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well my faith has been restored in Honda, esp City Honda Basingstoke who replaced clutch and DMF all under warranty, didn't cost me a penny phew!:Happy:

i-DSI, John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  7. ir0n_jaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mars
    That's a great story - glad to hear it was resolved for you!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah how many members buy second hand cars not from Honda dealers and moan that Honda diesel clutches are weak. They don't take into consideration of the abuse handed down then its Honda fault when they learn they will get no support for replacement parts !!

in this case it just shows what to do when you buy a approved car. Robaloy it great news for you, people buying lease cars take note.

9. SweAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

But still, we have a problem here. The Clutch isnt a small problem anymore, its a serious and ralatively common problem these days.
    I hope my dealer will help me.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I would imagine people like my self who do buy ex lease cars, they should and would take into account the clutch and maybe DMF will need changing. if i get over 90k out of a clutch im happy, you can pick a LUK clutch up for £153 from eurocarparts. Also i have found Honda UK to be just as good with parts contributions and i have never bought of dealer but i do have some work done by dealers. I think the biggest thing is people think the clutch will last for ever.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Does the kit from Euro parts come with a release bearing? Dave

12. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    It says it comes with release bearing to get that price though you have to put code CLUTCH15 in at checkout

13. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Down to £140 for clutch DMF £383
    Day off was bored phoned Honda for price on clutch £560 how much for DMF £1140 not bad i said for clutch and DMF no £1700 for both, I said surely you can't charge me 2 sets of labour charges don't understand what you mean, the clutch fitted is £560 yes he replied so the gearbox is already out surely I'm only paying for DMF part and maybe extra 1hr labour, don't no what you mean??? Ok m8 thanks for u time

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    No Harrogate they phoned back saying this was how much the DMF was also they have not changed a DMF on the I-DTEC. I asked how come a LUK DMF was £383 and you charge ex amount for the same part cause its a Honda part he said.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't say I agree with what the price of an aftermarket DMF is when compared with a Honda genuine DMF. Is the price indicative of what you paying for reliability?

What is fake or genuine do really come to know about it by looking at it. Does the aftermarket DMF made by the same manufacturer or the Honda genuine part made by the same manufacturer give you reassurance. Does the reassurance come from using a lower value aftermarket DMF with no guarantees for workmanship or does the the peace of mind come by using a Honda DMF fitted by Honda technicians ?You can be cynical about it as much as you want ...is price really the bottom line?

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I wonder if you spoke to a spotted teenager without a clue ?

18. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Over 20yrs experience he was telling me. Have we had any DMF failures on the I-DTEC mine going strong with over 100k, was surprised and happy when he told me they have not replaced one on the I-DTEC. Then again at them prices i would be going elsewhere.