Service & Maintenance Driver door handle broken...

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by AndyB1976, Tuesday 13th May, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I think this was revenge for my bargain timing light.....

Went out to the car last night and couldn't open the door, works ok from inside. I thought it might have been the rod or holder but turns out its the handle itself. Seems to have cracked just below ITEM 22.

Has anybody had to replace a handle, apparently side cutters help part the rod and bush but I couldn't get into it at all from inside the door.

B__5310.

28PFKL777914HANDLE ASSY., R. FR. OUTSIDE *R81*£81.04

IMAG0883tn.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a bit of bad luck. :Frown:
    Not had to change one myself, but have you seen this?
    I would think the process would be similar...

Ichiban and AndyB1976 like this.
  3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that, that might help.

About 4:50 is the issue, I was trying to remove that rod and bushing whilst inside the door - I did try and get the whole mechanism out the door frame but was aware of the force I was pressing with and didn't want to make the situation worse.

I am trying a bodge at the moment, squeezed some Gorilla Glue and spread it in with an old sliced up credit card lol, then some large needle nose vice grip clamping down on it. Then used another slice of cred card as some kind of spacer/barrier to keep the glue away from jamming up the whole mechanism..:Whistle:

IMAG0885tn.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Can you run some wire to reinforce the split as marked by the blue lines?

Door handle .1.

OR,
    Drill hole at each end of the blue line to wire together ?
    There will be quite a lot of force pulling the split apart each time you open the door.

Door handle  .3.

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'll consider trying something like that.

I got a roll of fixing banding that I might be able to work into a solution, otherwise try and get a handle :-0

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you can get that on, it's give it the extra bit of strength :Smile:

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Another idea, might try and weld it with a soldering iron, but I'll think about cutting a channel with a dremel type tool near your blue line (both sides) and might inlay solid core wire or heavy gauge solder before 'plastic welding' that in place.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't know much about hot welding plastic. Hence the idea of additional wire (drilled through) (or band) strapping along the line in 2nd photo.
    The others may have better ideas :Unknown:

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi bud wish I saw this earlier. I had the same problem here.

I ended up buying a new handle for £40 delivered from HH as always, it was a black one, colour coded may cost more?

For now, best advice I can give is to tie some string and use it to open the door from the inside :Smile:

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that ...I should have searched. I just used Lings as a guide for that price colour coded.

Well I bonded the Franken-stitch into the other side, sanded down the lumps, installed it in the car and so far its holding, well after a few gentle tugs on the handle. I think this stuff properly cures in 24 hours so all being well its sorted!!

To sum up getting this handle out the door was a nightmare, the two door screws didn't seem to like PH or PZ heads, maybe they are JIS. I broke one door clip, almost destroyed the rod bush trying to separate the rod from the handle but the worst part was literally getting the handle out the door, basically the second last step you do. I was worried about the force required would break the latch mechanism at the other end of the rod.

I should finish this off on the door handle thread (edit - this is the door handle thread lol) and maybe do it as a DIY - this is one DIY that will take me less time to write up than perform lol, however here at the last pics

Cutting and roughening the Franken-stitch to size
    IMAG0908_tn1.
    This is why you need more than two vice grips. and all different....one is never enough
    IMAG0909_tn1.

Would bring a tear to Isambard Kingdom Brunel's eye.....beautiful
    IMAG0910_tn1.
    bit rough in every sense of the word, but it works IMAG0912_tn1.
    Brunel would have been so proud.....
    IMAG0913_tn1.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

AndyB1976 likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good repair mate, you need to have another layer to reinforce it for belts and braces.:Thumbup:

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good job Andy, hopefully it will hold up! any ideas how yours broke? Did you open the door superman style? :Tongue:

14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No idea what happened, don't recall superman-ing it lol...

This wasn't even a gradual failure or at least a perceptible one, one minute its fine, next the door doesn't open. Therefore I thought that a rod had popped out the holder. It was difficult to see this failure because when the door card was off it was still able to push the rod although not strong enough to disengage the latch so everything appear to move as expected - the last place I expected to look was high up on the door handle mechanism. Obviously when you let the handle go, for a detailed inspection the handle crack closed so the failure disappeared to the naked eye.

Its difficult to see in the pics but it seems to have cracked right along one of the small strength supports (the skeleton or honeycomb structure on the other side)

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I take it the door is functioning well with the repairs now and hopefully last longer than the stock one?:Wink:

16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah CJ, so far so good, thanks for asking!

There is no distinguishable difference to the handle movement either. It was slightly rubbing, hence the sanded down epoxy but now you can't tell!

Glad I found a use for those wire zip ties because they aren't as easy to tighten down as the normal plastic kind so as a zip tie they ain't great and I wouldn't have used them again. I ultimately put a large jubilee clip around the CAT heatshield - the original reason for their purchase. It was nice to find a secondary use, and one plus point is they are so thin therefore they easily fit, even stuck inside an epoxy sandwich (on both sides), inside the handle hinge area! So this gives great strength, assuming the bond hold!

IMAG0908_tn1. IMAG0910_tn1. IMAG0912_tn1. IMAG0913_tn1.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff buddy keep us in the loop on its longevity.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good repair mate, are you sure that there wasn't any degradation before the handle broke? For me, the handle was sticking for at least half a year before my mate yanked it which killed it.

Either way I'm taking it easy on the handles from now on, £40 on a handle was too much IMHO. At least I can copy you if it happens again.

19. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi....no sticking was obvious on the run-up to failure.

I actually first looked at the latch assuming that it had jammed but I do generally lube that with white lithium grease (don't know if that's the best for it) but it looked fine. It was working from the inner handle so I just assumed thereafter it was a rod/clip on the outer handle simply because one moment it was working, next it was dead.

Although it was broken, the tension on the handle spring is unaffected as its attached to the other 'hinge' so the handle mechanism still operates - it never felt loose or disconnected. Although there might be slight difference to how it feels working or broken in my situation, the tension on the spring is greater than the force required to push the latch so that's why to me it felt ok from outside the car.

20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well two month has now passed and its still holding :GoodJob:

Nels, SpeedyGee and exec like this.