General Driver's Outer Window Molding coming off

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 5th Jun, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I noticed that the driver's door outer window molding is coming loose. I've stuck it down with some heavy duty double sided tape temporarily, but I've just ordered a replacement part from HH (£46 from HH vs £55 elsewhere :Smile: )

Anyone have any advice on how easy / difficult it is to remove and replace? Do I need to take the door inner panels off to do it ? I saw a post on here a while back about replacing a similar piece on an Accord, and was wondering if the Civic would be similar ? To be honest, the molding is almost entirely loose, so removing it won;t be an issue, it's the replacing I'm not too sure on :Smile:

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It just clips back on mate, might have a holding screw at either end (I know the Accord does), but other than that, just clips on

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just received the new molding (it was a day later than expected, as HH delayed it to include another piece of trim I ordered, to save themselves some postage - fine by me). I had a look and the clips that are pre-fitted to the molding do indeed just clip in. However, looking at the clips, I can see that removing the existing one results in small pieces of plastic breaking of the clips on the existing molding, and these will be sitting loose inside the door. Also, the door mirror makes it a little difficult to get the end of the molding in place

I'll therefore have to remove the door mirror, which means removing the door panel anyway. Not a big job, and I seem to remember writing a guide on this anyway :Smile: I'll probably do this after work today.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Well that was a quick and easy job :Smile:

I removed the wind deflector, door panel and side mirror (that's some sound deadening there.... I checked inside the door, and there is sound deadening in there as well, as well as some sound proofing foam)
    20150611_170409.

And a nice closeup of that speaker (damn, that's cheap 'n nasteh)
    20150611_170148.

As you can see, even the double sided tape was not holding the molding in place...
    20150611_170240.

Removed the molding by pulling up at one end, and then continuing to pull up, (breaking bits off the white plastic clips inside the door unfortunately)
    20150611_170633. 20150611_170636.

I then lined up the left side of the molding (you can see the blue clip has to go in a particular place), and ensured the other end lined up properly
    20150611_170824. 20150611_170750.

And then it's a matter of pushing down on the molding until the clips click into place inside the door. Aligning the molding first is important, as it's quite difficult to get it out again if the clips have engaged.

Job done
    20150611_170933.

And then put back the side mirror and wind deflector
    20150611_172505.

Here you can see why I needed to tale the wind deflector and side mirror off, as teh molding is quite snug under them
    20150611_172515.

A really simple job, and I'm going to do the other side as well, as the blue clip on the end has already broken, and it's a pretty cheap part to replace. The rear door moldings are fine, so they won't need replacing.

The image below shows the old molding on the top and the new on the bottom, and looking at the white clips, you can see where pieces on each side of the clip break off when taking the molding off. As far as I can tell, you CAN replace the clips if you want, but the new molding comes with clips already fitted in the correct location (notice the old one has one clip in a different location) and is cheap enough, so may as well replace the whole thing.
    20150611_170608.

Last edited: Friday 12th Jun, 2015
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent DIY as always Roger :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yesterday, I replaced the near side front door molding as well, and I noticed that you can actually get the existing molding out without breaking the white plastic clips, as explained by @Nighthawk . To do this, pull the molding up slightly, and then rotate it towards you carefully as you keep pulling. Also, once you have the blue clip on the end of the molding loose (the end furthest from the door mirror) you can slide the molding back before rotating it out, which means you do not need to remove the door mirror first. Sorry I didn;t take any pictures to explain this better.