Electrical & Lights drivers window won't go up properly

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Monday 11th Jan, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

If I lower the drivers side window fully, it then will not close. It starts to close, then immediately stops and reverses direction.

The odd thing is that if I switch off the engine/ignition, then the window will happily rise again and close.

I have looked on here and on the internet generally, and I have so far looking for any obstruction and lubricated the window guides (no difference) and I have also tried the reset procedure I found (no difference).

Anyone know what the problem is?
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is the procedure I found. Step 8 is very confusing because according to previous steps the window should already be lowered. Anyway, it didn't work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    NOTE: You must perform the manual reset from the power window switch at the affected window.
    1. Turn the ignition switch ON.
    2. Lower the window all the way down with the power window switch.
    3. Open the affected door.
    NOTE: Perform steps 4 through 7 within 5 seconds of each step. Perform these steps a total of four times in a row. These steps clear the control unit’s memory.
    4, Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
    5. Push down and hold the power window switch.
    6. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    7. Release the power window switch. Make sure that the auto-up feature doesn’t work. If it does, perform steps 4 through 7 again, paying close attention to the 5-second time limit for up to three more times for each series of steps.
    8. Lower the window all the way down using the power window switch.
    9. Pull up and hold the power window switch until the window goes all the way up, then keep holding the switch for 1 second. Make sure that the auto-up/down feature works correctly by lowering and raising the window with the power window switch. If it does not work correctly, repeat the manual reset several times, paying close attention to the 5-second time limit. If it still does not work, troubleshoot the power window circuit.

2. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    I am facing the exact same problem. have never thought of fixing it - however, when it happens, the moment it reverses the direction (going back down instead of up), i stopped it (pushing the window down button). Once it is stopped, then it will go back up without any problem. It doesnt happen very often for me (or maybe i do not drive my car often or roll down the window much).

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had the same issues as you guys but lubing the rubber guides (all the way down) cured the issue for me and I've not had a recurrence in long, long time.

4. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did spray some GT85 down the runners, which made no difference, so looks like a door card off job then.

Funny how it works if I switch off the ignition though. The act of doing so must reset the system somehow.

5. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have some grease called easyglide that I used on my mountain bike stantions (so its suitable for rubber seals). Would that be a suitable grease to use, or am I looking for something more lightweight like GT85.

This is the easy glide grease I have. Graisse pour fourche Stendec Easy Glide | Chain Reaction Cycles

This was also the grease I was thinking of stuffing into the clutch cylinder, as it makes a bit of a clicking noise.

6. ryanmch67 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have this problem with mine. Have done for 2 years! To get the window back up, I push the back corner of the window (close to the door pillar) downwards, you will feel that side of the window push about 10mm into the door... DONE!... the window goes back up no problem! I must try the grease but until then, just pushing the back of the window down is handy enough.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@ryanmch67 yours does sound like it just needs lubing.

8. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats funny though if the glass moves down 1cm if you push on it. Indicates something is loose inside maybe?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes it could be, shouldn't move by a whole centimetre !

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is it easy to get the door cards off on the accord? I have previously had door cards off on older cars and it was always a nightmare finding the screws behind trim and working with the little plastic clips.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No it's pretty straight forward, I'm sure there are some guides on here.

12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been observing my drivers side window following @ryanmch67 saying that his glass moves. Mine does too. What I see happening is on the way down, about 1/3 from the bottom, the glass visibly jumps in its position. When lowered it does indeed depress at the rear by about 1cm. I am assuming that the fixings holding the glass to the regulator must be loose inside the door. What I don't know is whether this is built this way for some reason?

ryanmch67 likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'll have to try and remember to observe mine next time Im in the car but 1cm movement sounds too much for me. Could indicate wear in the window regulator mechanism.