Suspension, Steering and Brakes Driveshaft nut socket size

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Whiskylad, Monday 22nd Sep, 2014.

1. Whiskylad New Member Getting Started

Andrew
    I have to replace both bottom ball joints as the rubbers have gone, can someone tell me what size socket I require to remove the big nut on the end of the driveshaft?

Once I get the hubs off will the old balljoints be difficult to remove, will they need to be pressed out?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    B__2100.

Item 22 is described as NUT, SPINDLE (24MM)

Ball joints can hammered out without a press but the job is so much easier done with a press.
    It depends if you enjoy a challenge or not :Smile:

3. Whiskylad New Member Getting Started

Andrew
    Hi, spindle diameter is 24mm? item 22 is the nut, I would like to know the size of socket needed to rmove the nut. By my measurements it is a 35/36mm that will be required but don't want to buy the wrong size if I can avoid it

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good point I was just pondering on that 22mm as well, sounds like the actual spindle size.

36mm sounds more like the standard axle nut size.

Whiskylad likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Whiskylad, it is 36mm from what I remember from when I replaced my lower ball joints a few months back. To be honest, I used a press to get my ball joints out as I didnt want to go hammering on it with the ABS sensor still installed (didnt want to risk removing it in case it broke and they are rather expensive if you happen to damage it)