General Driving with aftermarket footwell lights turned on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Tuesday 17th Dec, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I finally managed to fit some footwell lights for my 6th Generation today without blowing any fuses etc. I was just wondering whether it is actually legal to drive with them switched on?

I was using them tonight and made sure it was in no way distracting as I had managed to hide my sight from direct view of the LED's so we just see a blue glow.

Pics below:
    20131217_202353. 20131217_202358. 20131217_202401. 20131217_202409. 20131217_202416. 20131217_202427. 20131217_202437.

edit: the pictures honestly don't do the lights justice, they look perfect in person.

Last edited: Tuesday 17th Dec, 2013
  2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well it's not illegal to drive with your interior light on so I don't see why should footwell lights be any different?!

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My reasoning was due to the colour. Blue lights are generally used for emergency services and even though very little seeps out the car maybe a policeman with nothing better to do may want to fine me :telloff:

I've tried looking online but I haven't found anything to do with the UK regs.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I completely understand your concern, you don't want to give the ol' bill any reason to pull you over. If you have blue, red, green exterior light and/or they are strobe lights then the police take a very dim view as these can be misinterpreted. But in the case of your footwell light from the photos you have very minimal light seepage out of your car. From the exterior you can only see the blue light if you're looking down and in. If you were at the same height as another driver you wouldn't be able to see them. And in the case of the front view photo there is no seepage what so ever so if you drove up behind a car they wouldn't get the wrong idea. If it was a roof mounted interior blue light I'd probably say you'll be asking for trouble from a bored policeman as it would be a lot more visible.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That completely slipped my mind when I was taking the photos, I'll probably end up adding two more under the seats for rear illumination. Plus I'm going to make sure the light mode will always be static - not music sensing etc.

Cheers for the help Doc.

Ichiban and Doc like this.
  6. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The new Minis have mood lights on the doors and B pillars that can be a static choice of several colours or set to cycle through them all, they are clearly visible as the car drives past you and must be legal so you are probably safe enough.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough, I just looked at a few photos and they are definitely brighter than my set, cheers for the info :Thumbup:

8. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    My question is, why do you want to illuminate your footwells? or am I missing something here....:lol:

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Probably the little chav that lives inside every London kid haha - honestly I just thought they looked good mate.

10. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    They do look good, I was just wondering that's all.
    I prefer complete darkness inside the car apart from the normal dash lights.