Guides DRL Fog Lights

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Jay2512, Thursday 10th Jan, 2013.

1. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Guys,

A while back I converted my standard fog lights into DRL's similar to those fitted on new Volvo's.

Easy job to do and should take no more than 1hr to complete. You will need little tools and some automotive wiring depending on your install method.

I choose to re-use the cars current wiring connectors, to complete the install.

Tools:

Multi meter
    wiring (5m)
    splicing tool (or cable joining clips)
    Electrical tap
    Pliers

New bulbs:

0b28fad9.
    040cc683.

FORD FOCUS RS ST H11 CREE 5W Q5 LED FOG LIGHT PROJECTOR BULBS | eBay

Relay:

DRL DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT LED RELAY SWITCH DIMMER MAZDA 2 3 5 6 CX-7 RX-7 MX-5 | eBay

Step 1:

Remove the old fog light bulbs and replace with the new ones from ebay or other shop.

Step 2:

Check they work on the cars fog switch, nothing worse than completing the job to find the bulbs are cheap ****!

Step 3:

Remove wiring connector from fog light. Turn on fog lights and use the multi meter to identify the Live + feed to the bulb. Turn off fog lights and if you prefer disconnect the - Neg side of the battery.

Step 4:

Using the automotive wire, cable splice (joining clip) and tape connect the drivers side + feed to the passenger + feed. I routed the cable across the front bumper floor tray and cable tied away. It cannot be seen and does not get in the way of hot parts or restrict servicing.

Step 5:

Continue the wire from step 4 up into the engine compartment and route away from moving parts and hot areas and bring the cable up to air filter box.

Step 6:

With the new relay and wiring instructions provided, install the output + feed from the relay to the cable routed up from the fog lights. Connect the relay - Neg to the vehicle body or earthing point within the engine compartment (lots of places to choose from).

As in the picture below, identify the wiring plug just to the left hand side of the air filter housing. The top left hand mounted cable (yellow on 2.2 I-DTEC) is a + live feed provided by the switched timer for the cars ECU (or I think anyway). Connect the + supply for the relay to this wire, I chose to use a cable clip connector here as the wiring loom is quite tight and I didn't fancy splicing the cable.....

a1624eae.
    d53956aa.

Step 7:

Switch side lights on and with your multi meter identify the + live feed to the light. Connect the relays signal wire to the + feed for the side lights.

Once done you should hear the relay click when turning the side lights off and on.

Step 8:

Set the relay loop wire to either dim the DRL's to 50% on activation of side lights or turn them off completely.

Once complete the DRL lights will activate on ACC on and remain on during the running of the vehicle. Depending on your setting for the relay the lights will dim or go out on activation of the head light system.

With leaving the original fog light connectors in place, you can still manually turn on the fog lights in the car and override the DRL relay restoring 100% light output of the bulbs.

The + feed from the wiring block (yellow wire) is a switched live connected feed by the timer from the main engine fuse box. When the car is turned off (and or locked) the DRL's will remain lit for approx. 15 seconds and then go out. As mentioned this feed i'm sure is for the ECU plus other items that require a shutdown period after the vehicle stops. You can hear the ECU and fuel system buzzing away and then the click from the timer and just like magic the lights go out until next ACC turn on.

The timer comes in hand on dark nights and provides you with those "guide me home lights" that other vehicles have.

Pictures below of lights 100% and 50% with headlights.

094c5bbb.
    f30672d7.

Ichiban likes this.
  2. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Love the idea but arn't these a bit bright for DRL's?

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8th Generation DRL Fog Lights

I like. Especially with the dimming relay.

Jay2512 likes this.
  4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I like it a lot, but just as my conversion to HID it's illegal. Can only speak for Belgium, but you can't add DRL's whithout WVTA.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do they brighten up the road better than the original fag lights whan at 100%? I drive down dark lanes so this would be ace if it does.

6. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Jace, when you have the headlights on they don't really make that much difference, just light up the kerb side of the road. It really would depend on the colour type of the lights. My HID conversion near cancels them out.

Bit more relaxed in the UK, however I had these fitted and operational for the UK MOT and it passed no problem. Also last October I drove from Calais to Amsterdam for a holiday and never had any issues from the local law enforcement.

These are same level of intensity as OEM DRL units, in the day light you can see them but there not blinding. A friend at work commented on them when I followed him to a meeting, he said it certainly made it easier to notice the car approaching in dull/grey conditions.

Guys,

I will try and remember to take some day time pics. Also for those that do this, if you use the same power feed as I did you get that nice 15 seconds of light once leaving the car which really comes in hand when trying to find the house keys!!

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I like it, especially the 15 second courtesy delay :Thumbup:

Just one comment, if you edit your post and double click the pictures, you can make the preview bigger. We'll be able to see the pics better in the thread :Smile: