General DRL's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhys, Thursday 21st Mar, 2013.

1. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

What is are peoples views on DRL's ? I quite like the look of them myself but I can't help thinking that they would look out of place on an older car :-( the reason for me contemplating getting them is that my motor doesn't have sidelights for some reason ?? I think its because there is a xenon headlight conversion kit installed. I just want something that would make the car more visible during bad driving conditions and when out driving at that time of evening where it's not dark enough to put the main headlights on.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Keep forgetting about the search feature on the android app :$ I just wanted peoples views and opinions on them especially fitting them to older cars like mine.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why not just turn your sidelights on? :Pinch:

DRL's are a stupid idea from the EU. If you need DRL's (and want other cars to have them) because of "visibility" and whatever other political aloney you can think of etc, then frankly you shouldnt be driving or be on the road if you "need" DRLs. Silly chav addition, regardless of what car they are fitted on.

5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't have sidelights on my car :-( think it is something to do with the xenon kit that's installed. If I can just put bulbs in and have sidelights thats what I will do.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get rid of the silly conversion kit and put the original headlights in. :Thumbup:

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have contemplated that as they just seem to be more hassle than what they are worth ! MOT issues for a start and sometimes only one comes on !!

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you sure you haven't got sidelights?
    Even putting a xenon kit on shouldn't have effected them.

9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes definitely none at the front switched to sidelights and nothing ?

10. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like bulbs. Without sidelights it'll fail an MOT.

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's what I was thinking. No need to take out sidelights to fit xenon.
    Look at side of headlights and see if the bulbs are there.

12. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok I'll check. I might just take out the xenon's to be honest as they will probably be an MOT failure aswell knowing me ! The car had xenons when I bought it. Please excuse my lack of knowledge about cars but I am picking things up slowly and am willing to give anything a go.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud don't worry about it were all learning here no question is a silly one just check you side light bulbs and out some normal or something like osram night breaker plus in for better light. Wouldn't go for ring ultra I tried them good light but toasted themselves :Smile: and the are legal unlike the HID kit.

14. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Im not familiar on the headlights to be honest ?? Would some modifications have had to be done to put the HID kit in like removing the old wiring loom or would it just be a case of just putting new regular bulbs in ? I'll have to get under the bonnet and have a play lol. Shame really I really like the amount of light that comes from the HID kit but if it's going to cause potential MOT issues then they are going to have to go

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I have done such a silly conversion. Started a thread for it few months ago.
    Know what i think about my conversion? :Thumbup:

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good for you and no I don't particularly care what you think of your conversion to be brutally honest.

Conversions are a big issue in the UK and it irks me that those who put in aftermarket HIDs are blissfully unaware of their misaligned lighting, causing danger to other road users. Hopefully the new MOT regime introduced this month will clamp down on this.

No issue with genuine fitted Xenons, but its a different world over here with botched self-installed copycat HIDs. :Blink:

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I must say I've started noticing more more stupendously misaligned super bright headlights. There's a good reason why the regulations state that HIDs must only be installed on self levelling head lights.

18. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'll be looking under the bonnet tomorrow to see if it will be as simple as just taking the xenon kit out and putting new bulbs in !

19. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its your car buddy i think i speak for everyone when i say do what makes you happy if you like DRLs fit them. :Smile:

20. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I do like the look of them on the newer cars that already have them as standard but I have a 2000 accord and I'm thinking that they would look out of place on an older car.