Suspension, Steering and Brakes Drop Links

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ChrisF, Tuesday 21st Oct, 2014.

1. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    So I dropped off my car at my local garage, I've used them a lot and they always do a good job. I was getting a chirping noise at low speed which comes and goes. I suspected the wear indicators on the brakes but they were done last year and I've only done a few thousand miles on them.

Turns out I had 3 busted drop links, 2 on the front, one on the back. Can this cause the sort of intermittent chirping noises I have been experiencing?

I thought it was getting a bit of a wander on last motorway trip. Got to love those Glasgow potholes!

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Depends on where they have broken, but yes, it could account for that. Are you changing them yourself or getting the garage to do it? Either way, I would change that last rear drop link anyway. If 3 have gone, the 4th one isn't too far behind it.

3. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    The garage has already done them, it's £148 which doesn't sound too bad. I'm pretty sure the one that hasn't gone is much newer as I had a drop link done at the last service.

4. Nighthawk Guest

Glad they are all done now mate. Can you feel the difference?

5. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    Not picked it up yet, but I expect it will make a huge difference. I thought one might be gone as speed bumps were starting to get a bit clunky sounding. But 3! I guess it's testament to Honda engineering that you can still drive it in that state and not really notice.

6. Nighthawk Guest

It will mean that your anti roll bars are now connected again to the suspension so she should feel a lot more stable. Looking forward to the feedback when you pick her back up again.

7. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    Can't wait, couple with the difference the new Eagle f1's have already made, it should feel like new again :Smile:

8. Nighthawk Guest

Must say, those F1's are awesome - chucking the car into some roundabouts the other day and they just feel so stable. So much better than the Bridgestones I had on.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmm I need to get a pair of tyres to replace my Michelin Premacy 3s. The Michelin have been good but have worn out under 20k miles.

I'll look into the Eagle F1s

10. Nighthawk Guest

Look into the asymettrical 2 ones @SpeedyGee - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymettrical 2 (incidentally, use them for work which is what eventually made me try them cause I know how well they perform).

They grip like mad, but tend to eat themselves quite quickly

11. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    I agree, they are very grippy even in the wet. I haven't managed to lose grip on them yet.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Have you picked your car back up yet @ChrisF ?

13. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    'fraid not nighthawk. Stuck in the office till 5.30 (which is when the garage shuts) so I'll pick it up in the morning and give it a good run into work.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'm on the bus tonight, gutted

14. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    Handling much better now with the new drop links. Also my suspicion of the chirp coming from the brakes was right, one of the rear plates behind the brake rotor was rubbing on the rotor. Glad to have the beast back!

Nighthawk and DeviateDefiant like this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Glad to hear you're all sorted @ChrisF, the disc guards can occasionally come forward and start rubbing.

16. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    Sadly they havent fixed the chirping noise. It is intermittent and looking at the receptionists report for the mechanic she didnt mention chirping just noise from rear. It is intermittent too which is a pain to diagnose. It definitley sounds like metal on metal and varies with speed. Last time i had this noise it was the wear indicators but garage said the pads were fine.

Think i'll just get some jack stands and investigate myself.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Have you recently greased the sliders? The rear calipers are prone to seizing up and requiring a rebuild in their later life.

18. ChrisF Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Glasgow
    No, i don't generally do my own mechanical stuff, but I'm considering it at the moment, now i have my own driveway (just moved house recently). The calipers were replaced about 3years ago after a spectacular motorway speed brake seize, got so hot it blew the tyre out. I don't have any feeling that the car is pulling to the side, the wheels are staying cool and no burning smell. It doesnt sound like anything major. Probably just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get worse sort it out after christmas.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I should add if I was normal and drove with the stereo on and the windows up... I wouldn't even notice it lol.