Engine & Gearbox DTC P0135 Bank 1 sensor 1 - Some advice?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by PetrolHead, Saturday 12th Jan, 2013.

1. PetrolHead New Member Getting Started

Hello

During the last summer I left my car in my garage for around 2 months untouched and when I came back and fired it up, the engine light was on. So I thought all it needs is a good reving and a bit of a drive. But the engine light has been on ever since! I bought myself a diagnostic OBD cable and connected it to my car and laptop. The DTC was P0135 which is the Sensor heating element (Bank 1 Sensor 1). I have been searching for this for a while now and still have no answer, so I thought about posting here. Where exactly is Bank 1 Sensor 1 in the petrol 2.0l 2007 accord? I intend to check its voltage and resistance to see if its the actual sensor or if it is the fuses.
    Has anyone got any advice for me as to what to check first? Which fuses should I check?

Thanks!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The code is for the pre cat oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor has a heater circuit, the error will be for this.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Time for a new o2 sensor, that will fix the issue.

4. PetrolHead New Member Getting Started

Yeah I know its before the cat but where? Is it in the manifold?

Thanks for the quick replies

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If I recall correctly I thinks its a couple of centimeters before the cat, so under the car.

6. PetrolHead New Member Getting Started

Oh ok I heard that it was in the manifold, but I will check the cat and get back to you.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its on the exhaust downpipe before the cat.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    The correct way of diagnosing:
    1) follow the shop manual troubleshooting and check if the sensor needs to be replaced (as Petrolhead indicates: it might also be wiring, or a fuse...)
    2) if the result is: change the sensor, than the ECU might need a rewrite. But to be sure about this, the car needs a visit to a Honda dealer to see if it's in the range of possible affected cars.
    Reason for rewrite: sensor might crack caused by condense water in the exhaust in combination with the heating element 'on' for the sensor. Rewrite will stop heating if there's a chance of high condense water in the exhaust.
    For replacing the sensor you need a special 'open' tool. You might damage the exhaust pipe and/or the (new) sensor with classic tools.
    My advise: don't do this at home and visit your official Honda dealer.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  9. PetrolHead New Member Getting Started

Ok I have checked the corresponding fuses and they are fine. I have heard of the ECU update before, I will take it to a honda dealer on Monday to see if it is in need of one. If not, then I do have a few sensor sockets to take the sensor out if thats what you are talking about.

Thanks for the detailed reply

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You're welcome. Indeed, I was looking for the word 'sensor sockets'. But my English ain't that good. If you have them, you're fine.
    Concerning the rewrite: you should first have the sensor changed and than the rewrite. Prior to rewrite, DTC's need to be cleared. I think it will not work if you leave a broken sensor in it becaue DTC will continuously return.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This has happened to me too http://hondakarma.com/threads/491/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014