General DVLA Site Won't Let Me Tax My Car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robbie, Wednesday 20th Nov, 2013.

1. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    My car tax is due on 1st December as is my insurance. I received my reminder from DVLA -V11 - and tried to tax it online today, without success. The DVLA stated that my car was not on the MID. Having checked MID it is on there. Never had this problem before as I always renew my disc about ten days before.

Last edited: Wednesday 20th Nov, 2013
  2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Clear all your cookies and cache on your browser and try again. Try Internet Explorer if it still doesn't work (IE9+).

If that doesn't work you might be better off going to your local Post Office and getting it done there.

3. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I'm using IE11, but it seems that DVLA won't allow online renewal if your insurance is nearly due. Crazy, that I can insure at the Post Office, but that defeats the objective of easy renewal.

I'll wait until 2nd December when I will have received my insurance documentation.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We get this problem every year with our trucks because the insurance renewal and tax disc expiry as so close. The trick is to buy 6 months tax and then buy a year's. This way it chucks the two out of alignment and annual road tax will always be 6 months away from your insurance renewal.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was going to say the same.. it because all these databases do not update as fast as we would like..

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had the same last month because I had only about few weeks of MOT left DVLA website wouldn't let me buy road tax online.
    Took the car for MOT next day and taxed it through website that same day.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    VOSA own database works better as it internal and real time so MOT should appear overnight when the data is merged., Insurance database I think is update once a month at month end.
    That is why you see this overlap.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just had my renewal for my HR-V and it stated that I need an MOT for the vehicle which is actually not due until June. I think my insurance company have logged it as write off after my wife's accident!!!!! As it was I have logged the car as SORN until I can finally get the thing finished cold weather and hospital have prevented me from doing this. I will have to contact the insurance to cancel my claim then maybe it will be put right.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Depending on the category which has been assigned to your car due to the accident some cars will need to be re MOT'd to test they are actually roadworthy after they have been repaired before they are allowed back onto the road.

Maybe this is the case with your car.

If the insurance company has had the MOT cancelled I doubt they will be able to reinstate it - for the same reason which it was cancelled in the first place.