Off-Topic Dyson

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Sunday 15th Mar, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had to replace the hoover for upstairs as we only use Henry for downstairs because upstairs is carpets. Always thought Dysons were a bit of a gimmick but thought I'd try a punt with the DC40 and it is surprisingly good. Anyone else use them?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Dyson does the job for me. Very happy with it's performance.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Had a dyson for quite a few years now - picks up dog and cat hair like crazy - works really well still.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The five year come to your house also sounded good. I had just hoovered upstairs with Henry on Thursday, went over it again with the Dyson last night and was pretty shocked at how much crap was picked up.

I also hated having to detach the hose from the brush bar when using attachments, the Dyson method is far more convenient.

5. Nighthawk Guest

We have had our dyson much longer than 5 years, its still great, sucks up the kids lego with amazing ferocity - they panic when they hear it turn on and rush upstairs to ensure they have no lego lying around

Nels likes this.
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I noticed the brush bar seems to have its own motor, are they all like that?

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I bought the first Dyson Animal over 10 years ago and it never went wrong, bought the newer one with a ball last year and that's even better. ​

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was tempted to get a cordless one but the bar was too small and even the Dyson ones didn't feel powerful enough. Maybe good for hard floors though.

9. Nighthawk Guest

We have the DC07, it spins the lower brush bar with its own motor as well.

Its old now, but never put a foot wrong - its like the Honda of vacuum cleaners.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm on my second Dyson, and they really are very good.

Mind you, I bought a small VAX cylinder vacuum for my cars at the end of last year - one of the very powerful ones that were being outlawed by the EU. Should have been £149, but direct from Vax it cost me...£28.50! They were clearing stock - it had obviously been around for a while as the box was dusty and a bit battered - but no problem with what was inside.

Even better, it came with a bag full of extra tools, loads of them. It's bloody brilliant :Smile:, the most powerful vacuum I've ever had. It's probably a bit too good to use just for the cars, but I do like to make sure they are properly clean...

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't forget to clean the filters out regularly @ArcticFire

I ordered (over the phone) some extra tools and was told the Allergy Kit was showing as FREE for my cleaner. I was a happy bunny that day. :BooYeah:
    Worth a call just to 'check on prices' :Wink:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    We had a Dyson DC02 for a good few years but eventually the motor burnt out on it. We replaced it with a VAX.

13. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    We have a Dyson upright and whilst it is good the one thing that annoys me is when you just use the flexible hose on the stairs the whole thing want to follow its just does not want to extend how it should well not in my opinion, does anyone else have this problem or am i doing something wrong

14. Nighthawk Guest

Our plastic hose is split - its being held together with duct tape so I probablywont be the best one to advise on this.... :Laughing:

15. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Lancaster
    We have had Dysons for a few years now. We are on our second. The first just simply wore out, the second started to make a strange smell after using it while we were restoring a parquet wooden floor in the front room. (lots of machine sanding and dust)
    I was just about to click the button to buy another when I decided to check the serial number and low and behold it was still covered by the guarantee for another few months. (I didn't have the receipt but the barcode on the dyson told them the date it was made)
    Rang them and they sent a engineer who replaced the motor and a few other bits. That's three years ago now and its still going strong.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you 'un-wind' the spring hose, i.e. rotate is as you pull/extend it, then it is a little easier. Well that's what I do. :Unknown:
    Conversely, if the spring hose section was weaker, it wouldn't retract as easily.

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    We still use our old DC01 (the limited edition 'Arctic' model with blue trim instead of yellow). I've had to replace the mains cable and bypass the on/off switch, but it still works really well.

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My DC04 is like that. There is this stupid extension of the detachable handset that makes the hose almost impossible to use as it is too far inside of the hose at all times and the upright is very heavy and very unstable - it spends its time throwing itself down the stairs or on the floor! Long live Hoover!

Unless the newer Dysons are better, Dyson = VAG, just a gimmick. It's easier to clean the stairs using a carpet brush and dust pan.

19. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    With the difficulties we have had doing the stairs my other half made the suggestion of getting one of those hand vac things, could be an answer but when you spend best part of 250 quid you would expect you could clean your stairs without it wanting to follow you like a long lost puppy. British engineering!

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 16th Mar, 2015
    John Dickson likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've corrected your freudian slip up :Wink:

Nighthawk likes this.