Engine & Gearbox EGR Clean on N22A i-CDTi Diesel

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Saturday 3rd May, 2014.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Guys

Not sure if theres a guide on here or if I have missed it but just wondering about the EGR on the N22 diesel engine.
    Does it require cleaning or is there a scheduled maintenance for it?

I clean the EGR regularly on my H22 engine on the Prelude as its pretty easy to remove but with the N22 engine everything seems quite fragile - lol
    is it worth cleaning or should Leave it alone?

Thanks guys

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Definitely worth cleaning on a diesel in my eyes, one of the most prominent choke points. @ArcticFire recently cleaned out a N22 Civic and it sounded pretty insane the amount of build-up he came across.

I just skimmed the maintenance schedule in "Guides & DIY" but couldn't find reference to anything specific Honda recommends, either way I'd say it's definitely worth checking out every year at the least. @Ichiban will advise better.

As for actually getting to it on the N22, never owned a diesel so someone else will have to give the pointers :Smile:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    @Accord_N22 are you refering to the pre facelift or the post facelift models?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Check his profile picture Doc :Smile:

5. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry guys
    Its the facelift

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers @DeviateDefiant, got my glasses on now. :Niceone:

On the post facelift models it a relatively easy job. There are 3 nuts which hold the EGR valve to the intake manifold, these are easy to remove. There are also 2 bolts underneath which hold the EGR valve to the recirculation pipe. TBH the 2 bolts are far harder to get access to, if you can't remove them then it's game over. I ended up using 2 different size ratchets to reach mine. Also you'll need to remove the vacuum pipe on the top of the EGR valve.

The rod which connects the valve to the diaphragm is greased so don't clean that otherwise it will case the valve to start to stick. Mine wasn't too bad so I just cleaned the valve face and the seat and inside the outlet port with some IPA fluid and a tooth brush.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Doc
    Are the two bolts underneath usually seized? or is it just a difficult to get a ratchet to it and risking rounding of the heads?

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    No they're not seized they're just difficult to get to. I found I could get the ratchet onto the bolts but trying to find the room to get the leverage, as they're very tight, was near impossible. A small ratchet doesn't get the leverage and a large ratchet doesn't have the space.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Doc - for PFL,
    Are you referring to 13, 17, and 14, 15?
    This is one of the jobs on my list. I was going to write it up as a guide, since the only one I've found so far is for petrol vehicles by CJ

EGR   E__3430.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    @Nels the diagram you've included is for the pre facelift I-CTDI. The facelift is a different design.

I've previously cleaned my EGR valve but didn't do a write up as I thought there was one on the site. I'm planning on removing and cleaning my intake manifold as well at some point so I'll include my D.I.Y guide as well.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Okay. Thanks.
    I've been searching the net for a while to see if there was any info, but to no real avail.
    I like to know what I'm getting into, before I start taking things apart and to have everything needed for the job.
    Needs doing, but I've got some tall trees to prune this weekend.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Doc ,
    Just for completeness, is this the FL EGR you were referring to ?

FL EGR     E__3430.

Mikeyspell and Doc like this.
  13. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks guys.

From the looks of it, it does look very tricky to get too and I can imagine there isn't much room for any proper swing for the socket wrench.
    Can you not just remove the whole assembly, item 1 and 5 together and clean it that way?

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Unfortunately you can't remove the feed pipe (5) with the EGR valve still connected to it. The studs on the intake manifold manifold get in the way. The feed pipe doesn't allow you to pull the EGR away from the intake manifold and off the studs to slide it to the right and off the studs on the right.

It's the number 6 bolts which are the tricky ones to remove. It may be worth trying to put some penetrating fluid on the end of the bolts and let it run down into the thread first.

15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Doc
    Had a brief look at it today. It seems really tricky to get a wrench on those two bolts (item 6)
    Might have to leave it for now :Frown:

16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It took me 2 attempts. You can get the wrench on it but getting the space for leverage is the issue. If I remember correctly I had my wrench at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position.

If you have a long extension bar an idea may be to try and reach it from underneath. :Unknown:

17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Doc.
    I will give it a go and see but will back out if I fear I may cause any damage.
    I would assume the EGR valve was never cleaned on the car is this normal?

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You can't really damage it trying to remove it if you're using the correct tools. I was more worried about damaging my knuckles on the radiator. Just take your time and work out the best way to approach it. Even if you only get the 2 bolts undone in one day at least you've then loosened them for next time and you've worked out how to get at them.

The EGR valve will never be cleaned on the car and yes this is normal. Usually the 1st time they're removed is when they become clogged and faulty. Some times they're then cleaned other times they're just replaced.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

20. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Good job @Nels. That looked nice and dry, no oily residue in there just a build up of soot. Mine's got a build up of oily soot in the intake manifold that's mouldable like plasticine. Think mine's going to get set alight to get the worst of it out. :Devil: