Guides EGR Cleaning

Accord 98-02 (F18, F20)

1. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    This guide has been integrated into our new Guides & DIY section, please click onto the main guide tab to view.

2. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very good guide. Thanks

3. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have yet to find an EGR on my 93-94 accord engine F20B or on the intake manifold, or any where else if it comes to that, I'm beginning to think there isn't one, this car is a JDM and it lives in Cyprus, is this an odd car from Honda? a one off experiment? it also has a strange VIN number only ten digits long.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get a picture of the engine bud from a few angles am sure someone will spot it.

5. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is my E20B engine in Cyprus, any one recognise the intake manigold? there is no EGR inspection plate or valve as you can.

Here are some better pics after clean up trying to find air leaks with crb cleaner

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brian could you reinsert the images please they have not been posted. Top tip but instead of using quick reply click on go advance and try inserting your images.

7. Mike S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello and fault code

Hello to all.

My first post so a little about me. I work as a Air Crew Controller and live in London. I fly Large RC model aircraft. Large as in 80" wing span.

A chap I work with had a Year 2000 2.0I VTEC Accord for sale and as I had always wanted one I picked it up. Came with full service history and looking through the paperwork has had a lot of things done to it.

Six months later well today the EML came on. At work I got one of our skilled boys to check the code and it came out as P1491. I think this points to the EGR valve ( EGR Valve Insufficient Lift).

From reading the posts on here I see some have cleaned the valve and the rails. Would this be the best thing to do.

Mke

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. Mike S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Hello and fault code

Thanks SpeedyGee. I have read through the post and it seems not to bad to do.

I am able to change my discs and pads and have done a few head gasket changes in the past.

Mike

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Hello and fault code

Your welcome, let us know how you get on.

I think I'll merge the two threads so we have one thread on the topic.

11. Mike S Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok.

Now it seems to have gone back to normal so I will keep an eye on things as the MOT is due on the 13th and I need to replace all the disc's and pads. I will get on with these and see if it happens again.

Mike

12. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Where you say "split" the vac pipe - I can't seem to budge mine, is there a particular way to remove them? Don't want to go soaking it in something inappropriate.

13. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    No worries, just slid off. All done, seems far less lumpy now!

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Only grabbed the one, before I gave it a scrubbing!
    IMG_20140720_120224.

130k miles, doubt that's ever been cleaned before. Certainly appeared to run better today during it's first good run. Cleared up the holes in the manifold with a drill and a (fairly ineffective) portable vacuum. I did manage to knock out one of the injectors from the fuel rail annoyingly getting a bit of petrol everywhere. Dried up quickly thanks to the heat but decided to change the orings just in case i'd damaged them.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow that was coked up properly wl done I bet the engine breathing properly now.

17. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    You also have to remember that different engines are done differently, as its not the same on my ATR as in the guide. :Wink:

18. demian New Member Getting Started

Are those injector O-rings generic ones or must they be procured from Honda?

19. demian New Member Getting Started

...or am I supposed to replace the injector seals? My dealer couldn't say which ones may need replacing. If I change both then it's 11 € per injector...

Intake manifold

exec likes this.
  20. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Whats the part number for the injector seals please?? As i want to do this but dno which ones i need as i think there is 2 different ones?? Thanks.
    Also do i need to change them or not? If not ill just do it but if i have change tbem i will.
    Thanks again

exec likes this.