Engine & Gearbox EGR Pipe Crack. Accord i-DTEC 8th Generation Accord Warranty Extension

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 2nd Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    8th Generation Accord diesel owners if you experience an abnormal noise or smell from the engine bay,you have have a faulty ERG pipe.

Honda have release a TSB #SL-02-008-00 dated 01-09-11.

Affected Chassis code are CU3 AND CW3 For Cars produced in 2009,2010,2011 & 2012

The Symptoms
    Abnormal noise/smell from engine compartment.

Cause
    Thermal fatigue can cause a crack at the flexible joint of the EGR pipe which results in abnormal noise and smell from the engine compartment.

The Fix
    Modified the shape of the EGR pipe flexible joint.

Please note these replacement ERG pipes on saloons and tourer are different the dealer will order the correct part as per your VIN of your car

This warranty is Extended 3+4 yrs to 7 years or 200,000 km /125,000 miles whichever comes first.

The Repair Method

1. Drain the Engine Coolant into clean container ready for re-use.
    2. Remove the strut brace.
    3. Remove the air cleaner housing assembly.
    4. Remove the air intake duct.

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 1.

5. Remove the Intake Shutter Valve (ISV).
    6. Disconnect the water bypass hoses (A), then remove bolts (B) and remove the heater hose (C)

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 2.

7. Disconnect the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor 1 connector.
    8. Disconnect the heater hose (A) and the water bypass hoses (B), then remove the heater outlet (C)

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 3.
    9. Remove bolts (A) and (B) of the water bypass pipe.

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 4.

10. Remove the EGR cover (A).

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 5.

11. Remove the EGR pipe A (A) and replace with the new EGR pipe A (A), new gaskets (B) and fixings (C) (provided in KIT parts).

EGR Pipe Crack. Accord iDTEC AOCUK 6.

12. Install the remaining removed parts in the reverse order of removal using the new gaskets/seals in the parts KIT.
    13. Refill the expansion tank with engine coolant, and bleed air from the cooling system with the heater valve open.

2. Nottstourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just had this fault diagnosed by the dealer yesterday on my Tourer EX 58 plate 2.2 diesel, part is on back order but the supply/fit price is £441.43!!!!!!! Its never been touched by anyone other than Honda but for the first time I'm considering going to an independent garage, has anyone else had this job carried out and if so how much?

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If i understood you right, dealer wants you to pay for this yourself.
    See 1st post by Ichiban,this is covered by extended warranty and it shouldnt cost you a penny.

This warranty is Extended 3+4 yrs to 7 years or 200,000 km /125,000 miles whichever comes first.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  4. Nottstourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply, yes the dealer expects me to pay, there was no mention of extended warranty. I misread Ichibans post to mean the warranty covers the new part when its fitted. I'm now wondering why they didnt tell me this? surely the dealer claims this back from Honda? or are they under obligation not to point this out unless challenged by the customer? Anyway I'll give them a call. Thanks again, much appreciated.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just go back and tell them that there is extended warranty for this,you shouldnt be paying for this. Honda have release a TSB #SL-02-008-00 dated 01-09-11.
    Honda UK is paying for this. don't know if they are under obligation or not but it look like if you don't ask you don't get and sometime even if you ask you don't get.
    Good luck and don't give up easily.

Last edited: Friday 16th Nov, 2012
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would march into the service managers office and have a proper man to man chat. The penny will drop and soon rectify his silly mistake..:Wink:

7. Nottstourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks chaps I'll let you know how I get on, they are calling me when the parts come in (December!) I'll raise the issue then.

8. sev Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any way visually check it myself???

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cracks and colour staining on the pipe. soot may be there but not that excessive by then you will know as the smell will get unbearable in the cockpit.

Diesel do smell when they don't work properly.

10. Nottstourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update
    I got a call from the dealer today to say the parts were in, I mentioned the extended warranty and a minute later all sorted, no resistance whatsoever!

I must say thanks to Ichiban/Zoran for the help, saved me some serious money here, really appreciate it.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Oh so when u mentioned the extended warranty he immediately agreed to honour it but before you mentioned it he was going to let you pay. There's nothing like being forthcoming with information is there!! Or proactive or helpful for that matter!

12. Nottstourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Further Update
    Job was carried out yesterday with no fuss at all, can't believe it was that easy!

AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is great news , You owe me pint I will have Zoran share too he won't miss it ! :Drinks:

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good to hear that you got it sorted.
    Not sure about if i could let go of my share of beer but seeing that is you bud i let it go this time.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On your bike my info..:Tea:

16. sev Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys. Can anyone post a picture or describe how the EGR pipe which tends to crack looks.
    I have a terrible smell from engine bay, went to Honda and the technician told me the pipe is good, pointing at the tiny (maybe 3-4 mm in diameter) rubber pipe at the very top of the engine, which dissapears under engine cover.
    Is this really the one?

17. tree of life Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can anyone confirm? As I struggled to find it too.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    sure will dig it out soon! I won't have the picture showing the damage, but have the process of the change.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread updated now guys.