Engine & Gearbox EGR question

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Davsurfa, Saturday 16th Jun, 2012.

1. Davsurfa Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a mate who for his sins drives a Corsa B. I mentioned to him that I wanna strip and clean the EGR valve and plate this weekend before it gives me any headaches, he said "Just rip it off! It's the first thing we do to Corsas" So I popped the bonnet, had a look and figured I can't just "rip it off" but what would happen if I blanked it off?? It obviously causes issues, would blanking it cause even bigger issues??

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I wouldn't mess with it unless you have got a definite problem.
    Have you actually got an issue?

3. Davsurfa Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No not at all, I was just gonna take it off and clean it before I have a problem. The blanking off is just an idea

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In that case I personally wouldn't touch it.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If u blank it off it will kick up error codes and put your EML light on the dash. The EGR system on the Honda is quite deeply worked into the ECU programming. So simply blanking it off is not an option like you can do on some older basic diesels.

If u want to give it a clean carb cleaner seems to work well. Preventative care is always good. Just be sure not to be too rough with it and damage it anything. It's a straight forward job once u get the nuts loose.

6. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    it's not difficult to clean the EGR valve, but the passages will need doing too, this is a fairly involved job, the EGR passages run under the fuel injection rail ontop of the manifold, fiddly job

I had a quote from a garage, 2 hours labour £60 ish, I did it myself in the end:Smile:

if you like I can provide a how to?

7. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. Davsurfa Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've only gotta work Monday and Tuesday this week so Wednesday I'll have a pop at it then and I'll sit the laptop on the roof of the car so I can follow your write up cheers :Smile:

9. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    How did it go?