Engine & Gearbox EGR removal and re-map slow throttle response

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by grahamw, Thursday 15th Aug, 2013.

1. grahamw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there, I've got an accord 2.2i-cdti iv been thinking about getting it re-mapped as I tow a caravan and find the throttle is un responsive at times solo or towing. There seems to be a delay between pressing the throttle and feeling the power kicking in, it seems like turbo lag. Has anyone else had this problem and would anyone know if a remap would sort it out and is it worth getting the EGR removed while im getting it remapped, Thanks.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Remap and towing a caravan and you'll destroy your clutch in no time mate

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    as Dave said I don't recommend re-map and caravan, if it comes to delay in response to throttle, did you tried to adjust throttle line? it may stretched a bit so there's too much loose between pedal and throttle sensor, it's worth to check that.

4. grahamw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks ill have a look but I didnt think there would be any cables thought the throttle position sensor was all part of the pedal?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes its drive by wire but there is still a cable going from pedal in the car to the accelerator position sensor in the engine bay.

I would still get the car checked out, something doesn't seem right, it shouldn't be unresponsive.

6. grahamw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ill have a look at the cable thanks but it has the revs there but there is a delay with the power I could be doing say 2000rpm if i press the throttle theres about a 1.5-2 second delay before the turbo kicks in like the engine is thinking about how much power to deliver is this not just how they are? Iv had my diagnostics pluged in and there are no faults showing. what are the turbo's like are they just an ordinary one are are they a variable vain type? as I know this type can stick vw's 2.0 tdi has turbo problems like that.

7. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    our turbos have variable geometry, it might stick, you can try to use some turbo cleaners which are sprayed directly into turbo.

8. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

wouldn't remove the EGR mate, the car will go into limp mode and suck. you would have to get a custom map which bypasses the EGR to do that. Sounds like the EGR may be stuck open a bit which would cause the same symptoms as ur describing as its letting to much exhaust gas into the engine at low revs so is a delay in the combustion of the diesel. does the turbo lag stay when your above 3000rpm? if so I'd say thatz most likely the case. Also take off the inlet manifold and check that's clean, I took mine off last month and it was so gunged up I could only just push a 12mm screwdriver bit through it. Took me a while to clean it all out and lots of brake cleaner and wire brushes later it was good as new, made a whole lot of difference to the car!

9. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry was Spose to say if turbo lag goes away after about 3000rpm then its most likely a stuck EGR

10. grahamw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks ill definatly start having a dig around see if I can get to the root of the cause Ill try taking the inlet manifold off and ill get some turbo cleaner spray, Is it much of a job to take the inlet manifold off? and is there any way of checking the EGR? As for your question about the turbo lag going away after 3000rpm im not sure as its very rare I need to rev it that high and when I do the turbo has already kicked in before I get any where near that sort of revs. Ill give it a try though. I was planning on getting a local company to remove the EGR and they offer a free remap after doing so, I only wanted it removed as Im told its supposed to improve MPG as im only getting aroung 45mpg on a run and I thought the remap may also improve MPG and throttle response.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As others have said the most likely cause would be EGR or stuck turbo vanes. There is also a valve similar to the EGR on the turbo this could also have soot build up like the EGR.

Turbo cleaner spray won't do squat if the vanes in the turbo are sticking because they're clogged up with soot. Or if it does I doubt it'll be a permanent solution. The only way to clean them would be to separate the turbo casing and scrape the soot build up out.

If you got the soot build up out your engine and found the cause of the apparent turbo lag you'd automatically see an improvement in MPG. Considering the apparent problem with your engines current performance 45 MPG is quite a good result. With this sort of issue and having to rev it harder to get anything out of it I'm surprised it's not down in the 30's.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Ask honda to check to see if your car has had an updated EGR valve fitted. It should be recorded on your cars warrantie history. The EGR diaphragm and lift needle were improved to reduce carbon build up and new ECU software developed to further reduce future build up. I recommend replacing the EGR valve and have the latest software download for your ECU.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  14. grahamw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wouldn't say its lost any power as its got loads of power and torque, its just a slite delay between pressing the throttle and feeling the power. thanks.

15. hondalover55 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a very simiplar issue and i can not figure out what to do. I have removed the EGR, cleaned it once, put it all back together and it went into limp mode. Computer said it was unsufficient flow, so took the gr out again and gave it one more proper clean. Put it all back together, no computer faults were registered, but the car now has a turbo lag, which before it didn't. So i was thinking of getting a brand new EGR valve, but thats £600, would rather NOT spend that much. Been told to get an EGR Blanking plate, but then some forums said that HONDA engines don't like those plates. i am left in the dark.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Graham you need to speak to your remap company for a fix , or get the correct revised EGR valve with a stock map so it can be updated with the EGR software to minimize the build up.

Hondalover you need to get your car to a good honda dealer to address this issue, its clear you own efforts are not working the car should work perfectly well without a sledgehammer approach.. there is no need for these blanking plates or own made theories to make the car perform.

The car can be fixed without the need of such extreme measures.