Engine & Gearbox Egr & terraclean

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Friday 4th Mar, 2016.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    hi all
    Thinking I need to clean my EGR on my 57 plate CR-V. I'm having no issues with the car, but after doing a recent service on my recently purchased "so called full Honda service history" everything was so dirty that I doubt the car has been serviced a long time and seriously doubt anyone has ever touched the EGR valve. The car has done 83k miles.
    Is the EGR easy to remove and clean on this car? Is it recommended?
    Also has anyone used terraclean? They supposedly clean the engine internals. Any experiences?
    Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just search for a EGR clean on a Accord I-CTDI in the guide section bud. It will help.

3. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Done it on mine at 90k and to be honest it didn't need it, if you do it be prepared for skint knuckles it's not complicated to do but there is very little room make sure you have decent tools including a sockets

4. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Ichiban Thanks. Will have a search. Did look previously but only for CR-V.
    @chunkymonkey i have the tools and knuckles aren't to big so maybe ok. How long did it take? Other than the worn knuckles, was it easy to do?

5. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Took me at least 2 hours that's just down to difficult access and the fact my valve was very clean to start with. Make sure you get replacement gaskets I got mine from Holdcroft Honda, give them a call they will know what you want I think they are about 20 quid or so.I also think there is a guide on here somewhere just do a Google search and you should find it. Good luck with it

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Seeing as how you say that you're having no issues, then I'd leave it well alone. The EGR valve is not a service item and a warning light will come on if the pipework or valve become excessively blocked (although if the valve fails to properly close then the engine will run badly). I despair at how many I-CTDI owners waste hours cleaning all the EGR pipework and valve when the engine actually runs better with a partially restricted EGR flow!

Never tried Terraclean, but it appears to be a waste of money.

7. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I think the occasional Italian tuneup helps!

Get the engine nice and warm and give it good thrashing up to the red line. Dual carriageway with plenty of rounderbouts is best place and I find it is quieter without the wife in the car ;-)

My garage is part of the Good garage scheme and as part of service they put something in the fuel and mine always runs well after this.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .

Almost certainly a cetane booster.

Thrashing an I-CTDI won't help to clean the EGR system, as the valve will be closed at throttle openings greater than 50% (and a few other conditions, including low intake air temperature).

9. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replies.
    @Zebster i did wonder if it was required but have seen other people do it on their cars(non Honda) and I did it on my old mondeo and noticed an improvement but like you say if it ain't broke. I will have a think.
    @Wizard I do like to give the car a good run and thrashing sometimes but don't do it over a long period so it may not benefit it enough. What would be a suggested timescale

10. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest I agree with everything Seb has said, I can only say it was a waste of 2 hours doing mine, it didnt need it and had no effect whatsoever on how it ran after. IMHO service it properley with genuine filters and quality oil to the correct grade and above all don't use supermarket fuel, though some will say there is no difference.

11. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Steve

I tend to normally drive like a saint and rarely give it any welly! But when I do I get a small amount of soot for the 1st full throttle to red line acceleration and then it Dosn't emit any more. And as to how far & long I do it depends on traffic conditions and the road.

The best road for me is the dual carriageway from Horsham to Crawley as loads of rounderbouts to accelerate hard away from up to 70mph, then cruise until next rounderbout and give it some more welly.

I also only ever use Esso fuel and although I don't use Honda filters I do use OE quality parts from original manufacturer used by Honda.

12. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I had mine Terracleaned at 88K - 8 months ago - I've now done 105K. I'd done a fair amount of research on the net before doing it, and feedback on other vehicles indicated a 50/50 view on whether it was worth doing it or not. Research also indicated that likelihood of the process causing damage was low, so the main risk was in blowing the cash on something that wasn't worth it. I took that risk and a local garage charged me £132 for doing it.

It made no difference to my MPG at all. I did notice it ran slightly more quietly immediately after I'd had it done, but I wouldn't say I'd notice that now. My car was (and is) well maintained, so maybe that's why it didn't make much difference. What I really don't know is whether it's been a good preventative measure - it's possible that I had mitigated any potential future issues caused by using fuel of varying quality, but in the UK I'm not really sure if fuel really does vary in quality that much. I carried out an experiment on a previous car, using premium fuel, and again, I did not notice any difference in MPG.

To summarise: Terraclean made no noticeable difference to my vehicle, but there appears to be evidence that it can make a difference if there's an actual problem. Ed China used it on an XK8 in Wheeler Dealers once and it did the trick - he has obviously been paid to endorse the product, so that needs to be taken in to account, but having watched him quite a bit and heard him speak I'm pretty sure he wouldn't endorse it if it was a total waste of money in all circumstances.

Nels likes this.