Guides EGR Valve and Cooling Pipe Clean Guide 2014-10-20

CR-V 3rd Generation

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ichiban likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I love the way you present your guides. Top class and easy to follow.
    Thank you for sharing.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nicely done mate - I do like the way they are in PDF format so you can print them out and take them with you as needed

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, the only downside i reckon is for apple guys as I'm not sure if they can read pdf on iphone? I sometimes like to access guides straight on my phone whilst on the job.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure I've done more DIY's than are in the Guide section, will have to look through my history. I'm sure I did one for the Accord's front headlight washers when mine was damaged. Maybe I just took some photos though, will need to check that also.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Excellent guide mate, can you upload an icon for it please?

8. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Dear All,
    I tried following this guide but realised that my tools were not adequate for the job - I could not reach the lower bolts and those around the curved pipes. I want to know which ones would be the best to get for this job. I note the guide says ratchet set with various extensions.
    Has anyone completed this job using a ratchet set? If so which one/type? Please advise.
    Thanking you in advance.

9. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Latest attempt ends in failure!!
    The primary reason for my failure was that the black bracket that needed to be loosened and moved out of the way of the cooling pipe was difficult to deal with. I found a bolt that was under an arch on the bracket that bolted it to the engine body under the water pipe. It would not budge; appeared to have been rusted and there was no room to get a good leverage with any of the tools. It was a 12" one. Also, I think I may have sheared it somewhat.
    Does anyone know how best to move this bracket out of the way? It was impossible to get the combination of cooling pipe and EGR housing off the engine block with this bracket in the way. I have given it a good dose of WD40 in the meantime:
    IMG_3554.JPG IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3556.JPG

Lessons learnt so far (only of value for newbies, more experienced members, please overlook!):
    • Always start with a cold drink and have some in the fridge as you work. You will need them.
    • Different Honda models have these EGR valves in different places. What is a doddle for an Accord might be a four hour exercise for a CR-V. You will have to make your own adjustments/amendments. The general guidance remains valid, however.
    • The placing of some of these bolts make it unlikely that the average tool set used by your regular Joe's like me will suffice. I had the most joy with a new tool set that had long sockets and extensions in addition to the ratchet. You will need these for the bolts #8 and 20 in the guide.
    • Always use gloves. The type and amount of grease/dirt in these pipes is considerable and your fingernails will thank you for using gloves!
    • You will need a magnet/fallen bolt finding technique if you are a newbie like me. You will drop those bolts, especially if the task lingers/you become tired - if you are lucky, they will roll to the bottom engine cover and on to the floor or where you can easily reach them. If not, God help you.
    • Petrol is as good a cleaner as brake cleaner for this job - the advantage with brake cleaner is that it comes in a spray form and you can send good doses down the pipes/cavities you cannot easily reach. Petrol helps get the gunk off your hands, though.
    • It is useful to remove the plastic cover that sits over the radiator to give you more room to operate.
    • IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3527.JPG IMG_3525.JPG
    • In the event you cannot get to the EGR entry point properly, clean everything else. Gives you less work to do on your next attempt (and makes you feel you haven't wasted your time!). Pictures below, now to plan how to deal with this bracket....
    IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3538.JPG IMG_3543.JPG IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3557.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Forgot to add: Beefy was absolutely right!! No EGR spray/concoction will remove all the grease you find in these pipes. I didn't get to the EGR proper (but I will!!), but I am certain I will find it clogged, given the amount of deposits I found in the piping.
    Also to newbies, please avoid spraying anything directly into the entrance holes of the engine. I have read that diesels do not like this!

Attached Files:

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    some really good advice but seems like you had a great big tussle on your hands.. and the amount of gunk is just :O hopefully someone can shed some light on how to get the bracket.

11. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    I did!
    Started at 11:00, had all the relevant bolts removed by 13:00 and spent an hour and a half trying to get round this bracket. Eventually, I simply cleaned what I could with the EGR and cooling pipes in semi-removed state and sent a good dose of the brake cleaner down the cooling pipes in the forlorn hope some of it would get to the EGR!

The amount of gunk (and this is from the entry pipe to the engine) convinces me I need to get to the EGR properly.
    Before: IMG_3541.JPG ; After: IMG_3558.JPG

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Success!!! :jumpup:

Finally got it done. I managed to get the bracket off (two bolts hold it in place, one underneath the joint to the cooling system and the other at the very bottom of the bracket and there is the holding clip for some wires attached halfway down). The bolts aren't exactly easy to get to, you might need to feel your way around them. Always good to apply some WD40 first. Once this is out of the way the job is much easier.

To all newbies, don't forget to change the gaskets as directed. The following tools are what did the trick for me: IMG_3599.JPG . The extension is from a different set.

This is what the entry to the valve looked like: IMG_3565.JPG . This is what it looked like after I finished: IMG_3571.JPG .

I am slightly puzzled, though. The inlet to the valve just looked plain, solid metal base. The pictures I saw on Youtube etc., admittedly of Accord EGR valves, showed what looked like moving parts at the entry of the valve. Does this mean that in the case of the CR-V the mechanism lifts the entire base of the valve to let in the exhaust gas or has mine been blocked off? I must say I have not had any warning lights since I owned the car and a quick runaround after the job showed no ill effects or warning lights either. Car seems to be moving smoother and engine sounds different. Might be my imagination, but I will know for sure tomorrow when I head to Hertfordshire and back. Will keep you posted.

An offer: if anyone in and around SE London would like a hand doing this project, pm me and we can arrange something.

Cheers!

agadza, legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  13. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Got 34.5 MPG on the trip to Hertfordshire! This is up from the 31 MPG I was getting previously. I did encounter some slow traffic, but kept the speed around 80 mph on the motorways (M11, M25, A10) unless forced to slow.

This EGR clean-up has made a difference!

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now try drive in 6th gear will minimal gear changes low revs and sub 70 MPH , use engine braking and try not to use brakes you will easily smash 45 MPG

agadza likes this.
  15. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    True , Ichiban, driving style does matter. Still getting used to a Japanese SUV after years of driving German saloons, speed and MPG were never a problem. The right foot needs to get lighter!
    To make a fair comparison, however, I had to drive in a similar as possible way as I would have prior to the EGR clean-up.

agadza likes this.