Engine & Gearbox EGR valve removal and service

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by matt park, Wednesday 13th Aug, 2014.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Howdy all, has anyone ever taken off and cleaned up their EGR valve? I understand that it can become clogged up somewhat with carbon deposits and a clean up can do wonders. My motor is a 2002 accord sport.

I've just had a look at mine and getting to the 12mm bolts seems like a right pig, do i need a special tool to get it off. Because of the shape of the valve unit it's tricky for the ratchet to get purchase on it. Any tips? Maybe i need to take something else out?

From what i can make out the clean up operation is pretty simple and i shall replace the gasket coz they are only £10. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Matt

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've done a EGR clean on a ATR sometime back, it was straight forward. I can't recall the bolts being too difficult to get off on that.

Always worth changing gaskets during any job.

3. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    EGR valve clean up done. I had a bolt that didn't want to come off, that was a bit troublesome but i got it off today and cleaned it out.

A very good days work today.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good stuff Matt. Did you take any pictures of the work ?

5. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Unfortunately not. I was too busy havin a good time. Cleaned it with some carb spray, scraped out the carbon with a flat head screw driver and too the gunk off with a scraper. New gasket and bolted her back on.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OK, no worries.

Have you added you car to the Club Garage ? If you did that all these little threads you're doing can be added as Project Logs and you'll have full history of all the work you have done in all in one place.

DeviateDefiant and matt park like this.
  7. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Handy to know. Cheers speedy

8. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Does the Sport also have an EGR plate like on the ATR, as that can get blocked as well as the Valve. :Wink:

9. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I think so, it's beside the fuel injectors right? I didn't have time to get at it, bit of a bigger job that one, i think you have to take the fuel injectors out and probably the top off the engine.
    I will do though, when i'm feeling really brave