Engine & Gearbox Eh... another issue

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bear1, Thursday 2nd Jul, 2015.

1. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Hi everyone.. again :Frown:
    So recently I had all 4 injectors renovated and the car has been performing well, sometimes it seems to hit a dead spot when accelerating hard though.
    Anyway it went into the local garage to have the AC system checked as it had stopped working again and when it came back the glow plug light is flashing.
    I've done some googling and it seems to suggest that the filter could be at fault, is this possible?
    I haven't been able to drive it yet to test as my wife is the one who called me with the info.
    But could it be that the filter (bought genuine from Honda) that was changed in November, so around 10k ago already be in need of changing?

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Very doubtfull. Contrary to popular belief the fuel filter is not the solution to everything. Get the code read and go from there.

3. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Ok, weirdly it has stopped flashing. Start and stopped a few times and nothing...

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You're correct that the glowplug light can (oddly) sometimes come on if the fuel rail pressure suffers a temporary low, which can sometimes be caused by the fuel filter (usually because it's non-OEM), but this can also be caused by other things and the OEM filter really should not be causing any problems, seeing as how it's so recent.

Did the engine warning light actually come on? Unfortunately there may not be any stored diagnostic trouble codes.

It's a bit suspicious that this problem came on just after you had the AC regassed. Any sign of damage?

5. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Nope, no engine warning light at all. Double checked with the wife who said no just some wavy thing :Smile:
    I took a quick look around and couldn't see anything untoward, just a bit of water under the car but I suspect this to be condensation from the AC. I.e. it isn't coolant.
    There is one thing, not sure if it is related though which is if i floor it i hit a dead spot. If i quickly remove my foot from the accelerator and the floor it again I get full boost. Connected possibly?
    Solved one problem and got another :Grin:

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    EGR sticking? MAF sensor? Could be a few things with that flat spot. The fault may have been saved as a temporary DTC. Some faults if temporary and the ignition is cycled enough times the warning light will go out until it happens again. Get the codes read ideally using a HDS.

Nighthawk and Bear1 like this.
  7. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    I think you might be onto something there. I would have thought that either a sticking EGR or MAF failure would result in either a lot of black smoke, EML or at least re the MAF a constant limitation to 2.5k revs?

8. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Ok it now seems to be getting worse, more or less a constant dead spot. Sometimes it comes back into life.
    Starting to think that the MAF has failed, going to unplug it later and go for a spin.
    EGR I'm fairly sure isn't the issue as I would have all the power after a certain amount of revs but I know with the MAF it can affect the whole rev range.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is the glowplug warning light still flashing when the dead spot happens?

10. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    No, it has never come back. But it has been like this and getting worse since the injector refurbisnment.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think Beefy is right to say you should have the codes looked at, ideally using an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System)... if you can get access to an HDS then it can run interactive diagnostics, so can set increasing targets for boost and fuel pressure while monitoring the results, or operate the EGR valve and IMRC while checking the feedback, etc, etc. It can also check the the injector calibration is 'within range' of the ECU balancing routine. Well worth having done, I think.

12. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Ok, so I've gone for a sprintly drive and these are the symptoms.
    Most of the time it's nothing nothing nothing then the power starts becoming noticeable around the 2.5k mark.
    Next test was to see how it would react under a quick gear change and accelerate which didn't go well. There was just no movement until the revs hit approx 2.5
    I can hear turbo spool up then it goes quiet around 2000 revs and then comes back at 2.5. No smoke or anything.

13. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Yeah I'm going to have to do that I'm afraid, just a never ending story.
    My mind is going back to the time all 4 injectors were reconditioned at the beginning of June.
    The car has been having that deadspot since then, they mentioned that they replaced the fuel filter as this was a necessity.
    Just can't thinkg what else it could be. Had full power before the injectors were conditioned and not deadspots afterwards...

14. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    So I've had the diagnotics done and I'm no closer to knowing what the hell is going on. Only fault it came back with was the fuel heater was damaged, whatever that is.
    At a complete loss now.

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Was that the full range of HDS diagnostics?

The fuel heater does actually heat the fuel! It's near the fuel filter and only operates when it's really cold.

16. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    It would seem so.
    I've spent the last hour looking around the engine bay seeing if there was nything amiss but all solid.
    I unplugged the MAF but that just made the EML come on and limited the revs I think it's safe to assume the MAF is fine.
    Checked the vacuum lines and as far as i can tell they are all ok and no hissing sounds when floored so I will also cross out a boost leak.
    Took it for a drive again, only way I can get the power to come back is if I depress and floor the accelerator again. Otherwise its dead.
    Going to Italy in 3 weeks with the car, quite skeptical now tbh

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I don't understand how it can pass all HDS tests but still run this badly. Didn't the person running the diagnostics have any suggestions to offer? Was it a Honda dealer?

Checking the vacuum lines is good, but you need to also check the boost pipework and intercooler to rule out a boost leak. But the car would NOT have passed the HDS boost test if there was a leak.

One thing that HDS can't check properly is the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (also called the Throttle position Sensor). The way to test this is to compare how well the car accelerates under cruise control (when resuming a previously set target speed) versus how well it accelerates when using the throttle pedal. Very easy to check, so worth a try?

18. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    Zebster you made me remember something! When I was doing the test this evening I set the cruise control to 140kph and left it for a minute then I tapped the brake pedal and let it slow down to 100 and then turned the cruise back on and the car accelerated nicely (well normally) to 140.
    But how is that possible? One minute all is ok then no?

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Because when the car is accelerating under control of the cruise control the APP sensor is completely redundant. It only provides input to the ECU when NOT using cruise control, so - if the APP sensor is faulty - then this cannot affect acceleration under the control of the cruise control.

Do you think we might be on to something?

20. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    We might be, could this failure also contribute to dead spots during manual acceleration? Is it a tricky thing to replace?