Electrical & Lights Electric Aerial Fix!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Thursday 21st Aug, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ladies and gents I have come across a cure to fix the dreaded non operation of the electric aerial, however I need your help in order to identify the electronical component that needs to either be replaced or in my test case, bridged.

Once this was done though, the aerial worked like it used to, going up and down properly, but since it was only a small piece of wire that was temporary I'd like to make a proper and lasting fix.

please take a look at photo 1 and see if you can identify the diode or resistor thingy. The place piece is a wire i used to bridge the diode and which allows operation of the motor. This part is INSIDE the motor.

20140821_193534. 20140821_193542.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 22nd Aug, 2014
  2. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Gareth

Can't help as such but when my aerial packed up I took it literally to pieces and found nothing untoward. Decided to replace the radio, and it worked perfectly. Thoughts are it will be the lead from the radio

Phil

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've tested the aerial without the fix, it does not work, with the fix, it works. This one came used from a car at the scrap yard.
    My car stereo is not the OE supplied one, but an Alpine CDE 9850Ri which i have had for about 6 years and has worked fine in every car it has been in, it even powered the electric aerial fine in my old 3rd Generation Astra. Maybe in your case the radio was faulty though. And all leads checked out for voltage and continuity with a multimeter
    I have replaced my electric aerial on the car with a known working one, and have another working spare, plus two faulty ones for parts, which if they are able to be repaired, I'll have three working spares.

4. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Yes, my radio was faulty - OEM replaced by original owner. I replaced his with a Sony, 6 years ago - still going strong

5. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Gareth

Cowering behind a big wall for stating the blindingly obvious but...........................fuses?:Sorry:

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Phil P

I was not asking for potential solutions to a problem (electric aerial not working) I am merely suggesting a potential fix for why a perfectly good looking aeriel unit may fail to operate, when power is found at the connector (rules out fuses) Also there is a relay that powers this unit, which gives an audible click when activated. again ruling out fuses.

7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    If you are happy that the radio to aerial wire is live, there is no more that I can suggest. My faulty radio still played CD's and tuned into all the channels. However, it would not connect with the aerial in order to raise it. The new one did

I did say can't help as such in my original post but as nobody else has replied yet I thought I'd at least offer some thoughts.

I'lll leave it to the experts now

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't worry yourself, You have made a good attempt at the logical steps to diagnose the problem.

Phil P likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's hard to work out from that picture. Most likely a resistor. Have a look at the markings on it.

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, will do pal, like you sais, itnlooks like some kind of resistor, for some reason I was thinking it wqs shotchky diode.