Electrical & Lights Electrical Feed for Cigarette Lighter at rear ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Monday 24th Nov, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Does anyone know if there's an electrical feed / connection point for a cigarette lighter in the rear part of the 7th Generation Honda Civic? I know this is a long shot, as
    there isn't a 12v port in the rear of the car or the boot.

I'm looking at installing a dashcam in my rear window, but want it to turn on and off with the ignition (same as my front dashcam). However, I don't want to have to run a cable from the existing 2 items plugged into the in dash cigarette lighter, all the way to the back of the car.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can't remember is there is a cig point at the rear but even if there was, the run to your rear camera would be about the same anyway.

It's not all too difficult to route cabling to the back, so it shouldn't be problem anyway.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I realize it wouldn't be a problem to run the cable, but was hoping I wouldn't have to (read as Roger is lazy).

I was thinking about how to run this cable, and I think that as it's a hatchback, I would have to mount the camera right at the top of the tailgate window (leaving just enough slack for when opening the tailgate), and could then run the power cable through the roof lining to the side of the car, and then down and along to the front.

I was wondering though, if I connect it to same adapter that is hard wired to the back of the cigarette lighter, that means I have 3 devices running off there (at least always 2 at the same time) - could this not cause an overload / overheating ?

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The cameras don't usually use much power but why not hard wire into the fuse using an add-a-circuit? Much safer, cleaner and protects your OEM circuit.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Add-a-circuit sounds like a good idea (after I Googled it to see what it was :Grin:). It might even be something I could do without frying my entire car's electrics.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Try to find a 12v aux power line if you have that. That way, if anything goes wrong, its only the aux power you are losing.

The camera require 5.7 volts to turn on and work according to my tests when I was hardwiring it in.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the info.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    There's a few tutorials on here, it's probably easier to use an add-a-circuit than tap into existing wires, then insulate and also add an inline fuse to protect the camera. Although if you are not using a power magic pro box then you'll lose the fuse in the cigarette attachment and still run the risk of your camera frying.

I'm using a 1A fuse with no problem so there's very little current required by the camera.

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The current camera, and the satnav charger are going into a 12v cigarette lighter splitter which has a fuse in it, so I think it should be fine as is. I may add an add-a-circuit when I go ahead with the plan to install the camera in the rear window, and then also look at re-routing the existing camera and satnav charger cables through to this add-a-circuit. Thanks for the info guys - added to my "what 'needs' doing" section :Smile: