Electrical & Lights Electrics cut out this morning!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by synaesthesia, Monday 21st Oct, 2013.

1. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Hope someone can help!

Driving to work this morning (not my usual place of work to boot) and after about 10 miles, the electrics starting to play up. Rev counter, speedometer going up and down then dropping to zero, various lights flashing (SRS, ABS) and fading, seemed to struggle to use windscreen wipers.
    Got very nearly to place of work then it cut out complete. Restarted with some duress, got to place of work and now it won't start at all. Turn the key, starts, cuts out immediately. Oddly seems to lock OK. Battery is fine.

Feels like water has gotten in somewhere, before I start pulling fuses on trial/error any best guesses from the good folks here?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you certain your battery is fine ? Have enough juice to lock and unlock the car is one thing, having enough to run the car is totally different.

I would look at battery/alternator first up.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I don't know what exactly is the problem I think I read somewhere that 6th Generation had problem with ignition switch that were showing similar symptoms to what you are describing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's well recalled Zoran :Thumbup:

Yes it could be this also.

5. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Oh, wow - just been reading up on that, some very similar symptoms indeed. Will see what happens as soon as it stops raining! Might be something as simple as taking the key off my keyring to get me home and then look at the switch itself.

Battery is new, alternator is "new". Had issues before and both were replaced at the same time (issues not relating to this)
    Cheers, will report back.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hope it's something simple and does not hurt your wallet.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

7. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Got back to my main place of employment fine. Didn't do much but with the above in mind, cleaned some earth points, re-jigged the battery to chassis cable and took all keyrings and stuff off the key. Didn't miss a beat on the way back (another 10 miles).

The ignition thing seems to ring true, my father in law owned the car before me (5 years ago, he had it for 5 years too) and as a trucker his key (and the switch obviously!) would contain bunches of keys for at least 2 lorries, several warehouses, multi tools, allen keys and gawd knows what else!

Update. Done some more testing this afternoon when getting home (again, another 6 miles and didn't miss a beat). Googling around, I'm starting to wonder if it's more of an alternator issue, so will do some testing on that when I get a chance!

Last edited: Monday 21st Oct, 2013