Electrical & Lights Electrics gone I'm 1.8 accord cg8

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rastaj, Sunday 3rd Jan, 2016.

1. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Rastaj Templemore
    Well lads battery light came on yesterday about 8pm drove for 1 or 2 miles everything fine. Today drove 25 odd miles light still on running fine parked up for an hour or two started up fine light still on. ABS light came on during warm up followed by gauges stopping working and radio dying and electric windows stopped working. Drove down the road half a mile and after putting on full beams headlights instantly stop working. Engine still running and car driving 100%. Turned off car and restarted it and started perfect first turn of the key and repeat of process of electrics dying again exactly same order. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Seems typical alternator problem, it's possible that the alternator is charging but not to full capacity, best get a charge rate test done to confirm, this should be done using amps on the volt meter and not the volt setting this will give a accurate measure of it condition. The charge light on would indicate a charge circuit concern,check the norm battery connection belt etc, if proves a alternator is needed just make sure the circuit is not fused ,has the car been jump started lately .? Volt spike?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I recon it maybe an earth problem or battery/alternator as @hedleyf said above.

4. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Battery seems fine and engine not dying no hasn't been jump started in about 6 months. Replaced battery at that time

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

All the symtoms kind of point to lack of voltage, so perhaps a bad earth somewhere then ?

6. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What could cause it? Where should I start?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

• Alternator not charging properly
    • Failing battery
    • Loose battery terminals
    • Loose earth point/s
    • Frayed earth cables
    If you think you eliminated the alternator and battery, check the battery terminals are on tight, check all the earth points and make sure all the earth cables are in good nick and not corroded/frayed.

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If the charge light is on then it narrows down to the charge circuit,battery and connections at the battery, the main cable and sensing wire to the back of the alternator , the alternator itself,the earth return is through the bolting of the unit to the engine then the main earth cable from the engine to the body ,then the earth cable from the body back to the battery NEG ,a quick check with a volt meter across the battery should show about 13.5 volts when car is running.
    This is a general layout not to sure about your car but pretty much standard across the board.
    If the car starts would indicate that the earth cables ard battery are good,
    Need to check that alternator out.
    Not saying that your problems are with the charge system but it is affected so by finding this concern you will solve the problem.

9. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got alternator back from reconditioning. Fella said regulater was dodgy on it so will refit that tomorrow and rule that out anyway

10. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just fitted reconditioned alternator car is now perfect again. Thanks for the help lads much appreciated

Harvey likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good to hear its sorted :Thumbup:

Rastaj likes this.
  12. Malc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Malcolm S Worksop Notts
    As a matter of interest, where did you get your reconditioned alternator from?

13. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got my own alternator reconditioned locally mate

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Harvey likes this.