Electrical & Lights EML on with left hand indicator light stuck on dashboard

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by nsxer, Friday 12th Dec, 2014.

1. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This just happened today, and my wife was driving. car has just had official 25k honda service done a couple of weeks ago.
    car is well maintained and no problems till now

i took it out for a rip there and she is NOT in any limp home mode as she is performing as normal but lights are on dash. info system just states CHECK SYSTEM
    LHS indicator is still working but the flasher is not flashing when switched on. RHS indicator and flasher working normally
    i don't have an OBDII reader so has anyone idea of this problem code?
    i have pulled the battery ... doubtful this will do anything re it but thought i would see

any thoughts ... hate the thought of having to drive to dealer and pay for a diagnostic fee if its something simple.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd be worried if the two problems are related, because that would point to an underlying electrical fault which may be difficult to diagnose.

For the EML/MIL, I'd say you have to get the codes read, otherwise it's sheer stabbing in the dark. A generic ODBII might catch it, but chances are you'll need HDS or Snap-On diagnostics if it's related to one of the Honda sub-systems. There's strong chances it's related to the DPF, as that catches all i-DTECs out, if you search you'll find tons of information on how to kick her hard and get the crud out, but failing this, I would get a diagnostic ton as a first step - shame you're over in NI.

The Indicator issue could simply be a relay, I believe the light being stuck on is to indicate a fault.

Is anyone aware whether there's CANBUS feedback on the indicator bulb? If so, the light could be indicating that the bulb has blown.

3. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

left up to honda dealer. on my way up the LHS indicator cleared but i noticed a few things on way up to dealer
    Defo NOT DPF related ... i know these cause issues and are the plight of modern diesels but the car is too young, and is regularly serviced and proper stations are used so was not panicing about this. if it had of been DPF issues i would have been getting rid of the CR-V cause i can't be arsed try to resolve issues

I knew after driving last night to see what was going on for myself it it was not mechanical/engine related and on way to dealer confirmed this on drive this morning
    when the lhs indicator cancelled itself after a few miles ups the road and the brake pedal was pressed it illuminated and went off again when pedal not pressed, also the sat nav unit auto dimmed on pedal press ... so defo electrical fault.

car was plugged in at dealers and confirmed an electrical fault ... a brake sensor switch change (behind pedal) was made and this cleared the error codes but on subsequent tests by mechanic the dashboard then lit up like a christmas tree when the headlights were turned on.
    Car is under warranty so HUK better foot the bill can't see this being wear and tear or owner related

The dealers can do no more till next week as they may need to send tech data of to HUK for review, certainly not something they have come across before. So they gave me a courtesy car 14 Civic 1.6 diesel in a very nice spec too. have to say very impressed and there is good power out of the new unit.

will update on progress

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was grimacing slightly as I read through knowing just how much it would all cost on hourly investigatory work, all I can say is I'm glad to hear it's under warranty.

On the face of it now, definitely sounds like a single electrical fault somewhere. Given the myriad of ways it's reared it's head it's got to be at a central point or something that affects the system as a whole, ie. the ECU or MICU. Keen to hear what Honda find.

Either way, hope it gets sorted quickly bud.

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

totally agreed ... the joys of owning modern cars :Frown:
    electrics can be a mare
    as i said i can't see me footing any sort of bill for this ... if they try it on I will certainly be contesting my case ... STRONGLY

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They can mate, though Honda don't tend to get a lot at all. Electrical faults were the demise of my '03 Accord but she was battered and bruised.

I can't see how they can pin this on you at all, they can't claim wear and tear on control units and circuitry. Fingers crossed :Smile:

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well turns out they will be pinning it on me
    previous owner had a towbar installed but decided to rip it off rather than think of the next owner
    he just left the wires unshielded and at some point 2 live connections touched or something and caused the faults
    hard to believe i have had car for over 6 months and she has been well used in all weather conditions and even been in fields and this starts now
    any way going to have to foot the bill. in some ways i am glad it something like this, but the sting in the tail is the bill at the end.
    i bought the car at trade price so i am not in the position to go back to my mate who sold me the motor and ask for the doe as he bought the car through finance/lease company

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Geez, that's a bad turn of events. I wonder if they've actually pin-pointed it to that being the cause, or whether they've noticed the missing tow bar and played the blame game? To be fair, it's a pretty plausible explanation.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah man ! That just sucks. Hopefullt she'll be good as gold for you once the electrical issues are resolved.

10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

tbh as much as i detest the attitude of dealers and servicing I am happy with the diagnosis ... and I am happy to give the service mgr the credit it makes sense the way the electrics was behaving and it was lights and indicators that were messed up.

anyways got her lifted this evening and all is well again. few quid lighter for Christmas but there you go

will get her up on the lift in the new year come my next service interval and will have a nosey as to what has been done.

if needs be i will terminate any wiring properly if the dealer has just insulated it with tape

going forward is there any decent OBII readers that are available to buy that are good with honda?

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Regardless of the pennies spent, glad to hear you've got her back in working order again :Smile:

Personally I would only recommend HDS or Snap-On diagnostics as they're the only systems (that I know of) which can read the bespoke Honda sub-systems properly. I'm not sure if the 3rd Generation CR-V model is standard HDS or the newer MCIV, @Ichiban will be able to confirm.

You can get knock-off HDS on eBay quite easily, around £80 normally, the MCIV will cost 10x the price easily.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You mean MVCI :Whistle:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You don't need the MVCI for the 3ed gen CR-V a normal HIM will do.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yes, yes I do :Laughing:

Thanks man.

15. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    If you want the wiring as good as standard, unfortunately you will need new looms. So long as a decent enough job of insulating has been carried out you should have no future problems. The best way of repair is to cut, slide heatshrink over the wire, solder and then shrink over the joint. The previous cretin who botched the fitment of the towbar wiring in the first place may well have cut the wires too close to the connectors for a perfect repair. Let us know what you find when you get chance to have a look.

16. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for all the advice.
    yes i will inspect the job in the new year ... if its not well done i will be asking why but in the interim the car seems fine so hopefully get us through the winter period.
    i will be looking to get the loop properly sealed off and as Beefy said soldered and heatshrinked off.