General End of the line.

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by stuscrv, Friday 29th Jan, 2016.

1. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    The last defender has rolled or was it pushed ? Off the production line after nearly seventy years of production.
    The official reason being it can't meet European emission legislation and apparently riding side saddle is now illegal !
    Yes I'm aware their owned by tata but I think their made mainly in the midlands and hope job losses won't be too severe. I hope it isn't another huge mistake by the UK car industry !
    Oh well I've had to cancel my order, so will now order a new Delorean lol.

the rev likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No they won't buddy, things are booming big time for JLR, they are constantly looking for more and more production line staff.

3. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Great, I'm pleased, are they developing a replacement or are they putting all their resources into making the freelander work !

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I applied for work in JLR but they only offer agency work sadly.
    If they offered permanent position i would be there right now.
    Solihull factory is very busy from what i hear.

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Apparently there is a new Defender coming but it will be nothing like the old one which can be a bad thing actually..
    TATA just laid off quite a few staff from their UK steel factory but I doubt anything will happen at JLR as SUVs are all the rage these days specially with cheap petrol. So much so that FCA in USA has axed Dodge Dart/Chrysler 200 and will instead concentrate on building more trucks/SUV. So they are going to lose about 220,000 car sales but their new trucks will more than make up for it.

Sounds very 2008s... get ready for Cash for Clunkers part Deux!

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I've heard from here the factory is still very busy, is that partly to do with other models like jags ?
    If their made there.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As far as I know there is no more Defender.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

On the radio, they said there 'may be' some redundancies, but these would be 'mainly' voluntary, including retirements...

I've nearly bought a LR product a couple of times - once a Freelander 2, once an Evoque - but both times the spectre of reliability issues put me off. One of my neighbours has a Defender, and has had quite a few issues over the years.

9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Yes I agree re reliability, but apparently two thirds of all defenders EVER made are still on the road. If true that's an incredible number.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Funny you mentioned that :Grin:
    My boss has switched two Freelanders both of which gave him a lot of heartache.. and then somehow he ended up a Supercharged 4.2(?) V8 Range Rover Vogue which was all good for 10minutes but now he can neither sell cause the transmission goes into limp mode every 20 minutes nor can he keep because it does some crazy MPG. Last week his friend bought a limited edition Freelander for some client that broke down on way to France and when investigated it didn't need a head gasket as that was brand new but rather that it needed a replacement motor. So a new engine went in and then when he finally got going a spring broke! :Grin:

11. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I laugh now but it used to make me cry, even as a youngster in the seventies I could see our car industry just slowly rotting away. I remember the early jap invasion but was pleased as we all remember you could hear them rusting away ! Of course they soon sorted that and they soon became ultra reliable. When the rangey came out in late sixtys I thought were saved, but as usual we had a world beater that was dogged by strikes, reliability issues etc.
    If bump failed the motty I knew of a 4. Something supercharged rangey with years MOT FSH in black gorgeous leather, all the bells and whistles for 5k ! Which was very tempting. I'm lucky enough to pay cheap insurance and do low miles so don't care about MPG.
    But it wasn't to be as thanks to a Stevie wonder MOT bumps around for one last year !