General End of the road

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by I-S, Sunday 21st Jul, 2013.

1. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Well, it had to happen.

After just shy of 5 years and 49000 miles with very few faults, issues or problems, we are saying goodbye to our 53 plate accord 2.0 exec tourer.

In May I was made redundant with a decent pay off and now found a higher paying job, so my redundancy money and a bit has gone into getting us a newer car.

Our new beast, which we collect Monday, is a 60 plate Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux, with the Volvo polestar remap, giving it 225bhp and 340lbft. It's huge, comfy and fast.

Perhaps one day we'll return to Honda, but for now see ya!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Shame to see you leave Honda, but out of the few other manufacturers that receive any kind of credibility around these parts, Volvo's not a bad way to go. Pop back and let us know how you get on with your V70, we all like to hear comparisons to other high-end estates/saloons. Best of luck!

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Best of luck Isaac, 5 year haven't they flown! Enjoy your new car and be in touch. :Wink: Good luck with the new Job.

4. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Don't tell me cars don't have feelings or know what is going on. The Accord got a puncture last night! Hopefully there will be no other issues between here and the car dealer...

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The car is telling you something ..lol

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Volvo V70 are mighty fine and roomy car, my choice of car after Accord.
    Enjoy it.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I think your Accord is refusing to be sold! She'll drop a cylinder if you try get her into the dealership.

8. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Well, in the end she did make it, although the volvo threw up an issue that day also. However, that was to do with bad mechanic work rather than a fault with the car.

Here she is:

4s.JPG

5s.JPG

7s.JPG

int.JPG

Driving it does highlight a few things. The Volvo is a better every day car, for commuting, motorways, etc. It rides better (especially small bumps, where the accord was very "jiggly"), quieter, etc.

However, for hustling along a B-road the accord was better - the suspension settings gave the accord good grip and flat cornering, the V70 is more boat-like (and the extra 350kg probably doesn't help that either). That said, there was one junction that pulling out of in the accord was a slow process as it was on a steep hill. The obscene torque of the Volvo makes it a breeze.

And the Accord's power tailgate is better - the Volvo won't close from the remote and doesn't like manual operation.

So, we leave Honda ownership with a positive experience. It was a good car for us, and it's for sale in Gloucestershire now.

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Beautiful car with lovely interior.
    Like it a lot.Enjoy.

10. T26NYD Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that's my first week of redundancy over ! Company acquired by Americans just before Xmas , then no holiday pay and back in administration . Now 150 engineering jobs gone since August , 25 still there with possibility of management buy out, here's hoping ?

11. allfours Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice looking motor!
    Love the twin werther originals bags, nice feature!

12. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Actually, mine were humbugs (driver's side). Gone now. HWMBO's are the werther's... although I think he's forgotten they're there.

So, with a lot more time under the belt...

Ride

The 7th Generation Accord has a better primary ride (large bumps and undulations), feeling very planted and composed. The V70 has a less good primary ride, but it actually has a secondary ride (small bump absorbtion/masking) which was pretty much entirely absent on the Accord (on 17"s - I'm sure on 16s it would have been better). Overall the V70 is more of a compromise, but probably one that better suits the crap roads we have in this country.

Power

No contest... 195Nm in the Honda against 460Nm torque in the volvo, 155bhp against 225. 6 speed auto in the volvo adds to the accessibility. I will say that the Honda had better traction, but perhaps that's down to the engine not being able to stress the tyres (both 225 width) much. Ultimately for real world applications, like overtaking or joining a motorway the V70 destroys the Accord in all its forms. Our V70 is Polestar equipped (Volvo's own, warrantied remap).

Running Costs

Also no contest. The petrol Honda wins by a country mile. We got 33.11 MPG out of the Accord over 49k miles. So far the Diesel V70 has returned 37.77mpg average, on more expensive diesel fuel. I'm not really complaining about that, as for the performance and weight (1860kg) it's not bad, but anyone telling you they're buying a big diesel for running cost reasons is either lying or misinformed. Then there was the simple fact that the Accord was simple and easy to DIY, and never cost us much at all. Changing the rear discs and pads alone on the V70 is a £340 bill (because of the parking brake setup it can't be done by mortals, but is a dealer-only option) - £170 and a day's work did all around on the Accord. Unlike the Accord it has a cambelt that will be an expensive job in a few years.

Comfort, Journeys, etc...

Essentially it's like driving a very fast sofa. It's very comfortable, quiet, much less road noise and outside noise intrusion than the Accord, better stereo, etc. You get out after 3 or 4 hours without feeling that you've spent 3 or 4 hours in a car. Driving involvement and thrills are not to be had (well, other than the satisfaction of the looks on the boy racer's faces when they realise that yes, that was a diesel volvo that just destroyed them....).

The Volvo Effect(tm)

Imagine the scene, you're driving along the motorway, on cruise, lane 2, passing some lorries when an Audi or Range Rover comes screaming up lane 3. That is, until they're 20 yards behind you, at which point they miraculously slow down, creep past, pull into the middle lane in front, creep gently away from you until they're 100-150 yards ahead, then back to lane 3 and off again.

But the best example of this effect was on my way home from work, in some of Oldham's back streets. There was a rather ratty looking Rover 25 ahead, and made a right turn into another side street, which just so happened to be the way I was going also. There was a car oncoming so I made the turn quickly and so rapidly closed the distance up to the Rover. This immediately prompted a great deal of shuffling and shifting around among the back seat passengers of the Rover for about 10 seconds, before one turned around to get a proper look at me.

Maybe I should buy a High-Viz jacket?

13. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Lovely looking car! Hope the new job goes well.

Loving the Volvo effect!!! I have to admit... I've slowed down for Volvos too.. but no need to shuffle ;-)

14. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Lovely looking car and good comparison :Thumbup: When I first started looking at a new car Volvos were up there with Accords, but there was just something about the Accord that sealed it for me.

To help the Volvo effect it could be time to wire up the main beam to flash alternatively :WooYeah: