Engine & Gearbox Engine ancillary chatter

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Andrew, Friday 5th Jul, 2013.

1. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Another niggle on my CDTI EX i hope you can help me with

i have a slight "chatter" coming from one of the ancillaries, at first i thought it was the alternator bearing as so many of you have found is a common cause
    i.e this video - Honda Accord 2.2 i-cdti alternator bearing / pulley noise - YouTube

my noise is more a chatter that a click and sounds like its coming lower down than from the alternator perhaps from the A/C pump??

It does increase with revs but can be heard like a tickety chatter in the background at idle

Sorry for the size of the video (recorded on a Samsung S4 in HD) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwqgxrv8yaf8l7f/2013-06-26 19.19.12.mp4

Thanks

Andrew

2. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Hi Andrew,

The chatter sound your referring to may well be your timing chain, I suspected something on my serpentine belt was causing a racket, so I had it removed and momentarily started but still made the noise with no belt,

If it is the A/C pump try manually engaging it on/off and if there is a noticeable noise change then you might be onto a winner,

But really timing chains sound really rough when slack, mine wasn't a clicking sound by any means more of a chatter like friction of a rotary part, if its 2004 / 2005 and around 80k+ Mileage, have it checked out or you'll end up like I just have, a none runner I just bought! :O,

Good Luck!,

:Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

After actually watching your video I take it back, it sounds very much like air escaping, is your air conditioning still going strong?

- - - Updated - - -

After actually watching your video I take it back, it sounds very much like air escaping, is your air conditioning still going strong?

3. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Chrispy, thanks for the reply

When you say serpentine belt are you talking about the main ancillary belt connecting the Alternator, PS , AC etc?

I did wonder if it could be timing chain related as it started just after i had the engine rebuilt due to a big end fail on Cylinder 4 (suspected oil pump fail)
    at the time i did complain to the garage but it was brushed off as diesel noise... that was 2 years ago and its never got worse or improved

its a 2006 with 85k

How can i manually engage the AC pump and is it safe to run the engine with the belt disconnected for a short time?

Actually... it doesn't sound so much to Air to me, the chatter / Tickety sound is subtle but you can hear it, that aside no the AC isn't working at all, i had it refilled twice and pressure tested but that lasted the best part of 24 hours before it stopped working (no leaks were found)

Thanks Andrew

Last edited: Friday 5th Jul, 2013
  4. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Yeaah same thing, oil pump fail? was that down to the oil pump chain by any chance?

For a short time there should be no harm, at least I 'think' I wouldn't trust my words because shortly after my belt was changed it went pop, but I have read it on other forums it safe momentarily,

On my accord I had the touch screen (SATNAV) and if I pressed the A/C button I had the option of on/off, there's a chance your compressor is not engaging, that is if the system holds its pressure, if not you may have a hidden leak, it is a little strange how it only lasted 24 hours, there is a pressure switch that can go pop, mine did and was working sweet once replaced.

Chris.

5. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Chris,

something about a faulty oil pump not lubricating the furthest cylinder, no dashboard lights in my defense plus a honda 50k service the week prior one of those things i guess....

i have the nav option will check that out

Andrew

6. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I hope its just a noisy bearing for your sake, the aircon compressors do cost a bit, best of luck!