Detailing Engine bay fear

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by jazzway, Saturday 14th May, 2016.

1. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    As newbie detailer i like to keep our Jazz as clean and shiny as possible, but there's one area i am afraid to touch: the engine bay. How do i make it clean without making her grumble or worse? I know nothing about all those things and wires inside so i made a bunch of photos. What can i touch with APC and water and what not? Can i use a spray bottle or just a damp cloth? And when it's clean can i use Finish Kare #350 Super Polymer Body Shop Safe Tire Dressing? It is for use on tyres and exterior trim, where i use it for now.
    Thanks in advance for all help!

image.

image.

image.

image.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @Ichiban has a set routine which he has been implementing in engine bays. IIRC it involves snow foaming the bay among other things.
    @wanner69 is our usual detailing expert but takes his time to reply so might be worth waiting for that too

jazzway likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

jazzway and Ichiban like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No amount of snow foaming will fix and resolve the metal corrosion and crusty spots, ideally you need to do that on a new car every three weeks.my 2007and 2012 Accord engine is mint because of this procedure. Sorry chap there is no easy way to reverse this unless you strip everything in the engine and treat it.

jazzway likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Agreed, but he can still get it cleaner. :Unknown:

jazzway, Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes but you can reverse corrosion once set, so those images won't magically change with snow foam. :salute:

Nels likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I don't detail my car and nor do I have any fancy kit.. My Jazz is 13 years old now and I am the fifth owner of it, the metal corrosion is much much worse than what @jazzway has got but does that mean I simply gave up and forgot about it? No! there is always something that can be done. I am skint so all I have is plenty of baby wipes at hand and I often use to keep the bay as clean as possible. I have also at times used engine degreaser spray followed up by a squirty water bottle from a pound shop since I don't have access to running water and things did improve. Ofcourse its not on par with most people's standards and yes it won't win any concourse awards and it might even be the worse looking engine bay on HK but does that mean I forget about it and not clean it??? Nope..

Anyway..

CathyJ_NW, jazzway, Nighthawk and 3 others like this.
  8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Why couldn't the JDM versions have a two piece intake like that :Ermm: it would make doing the valve lash so much easier than mine.

For myself de-grease and pressure wash would be my standard answer for most older cars I'm not looking for show quality but ease of work and ability to spot leaks, rust or other problems early.

jazzway likes this.
  9. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for your replies and @legend-ary and @Nels for the links!!

First off, we have bought the car 6 months ago, so it is not that i forgot nor neglected the engine bay for 5,5 year. The only reason i didn't cleaned it yet was because of the electrical stuff under the bonnet and i have zero knowledge of car mechanics. So when someones says "Cover the alternator," then i have no idea where that is. When i read cover all wires (and yes i read that) then i close the bonnet because i see wires everywhere.

@Ichiban I understand that i can't undone 5 years neglect from the previous owner. Strip everything and clean it then is een 'No Go' because of knowledge.
    Exactly. That is what i (she) want! :Wink:

FirstHonda, Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Do the best you can would be my advice, any car which is used as a daily and not hidden away in a garage will eventually show signs of corrossion etc setting in. don't aim any high pressure water anywhere near any electrical connections, rather let it spray over it. The components in engine bays are a lot more resilient than they used to be so as long as you don't aim hard jets at anything, you should be absolutely fine. :Thumbup:

:goodluck:

FirstHonda, Nels and jazzway like this.
  11. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you @Nighthawk ! It was not my plan to use the high PW under the bonnet. I'll keep that when snow foaming the exterior.:Wink:
    Maybe i am too scared. The idea the motor doesn't work anymore or i blow up electrical stuff scares me. :Grin:

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Low pressure should be fine. After the final rinse. use a leaf blower or (compressor if you have one) to clear excess water and speed up drying.
    There are many clips online.

Alternatively, you can clean the engine/bay by hand with brushes and old rag - Takes a lot longer, but you can always do a little at a time.
    Let us know how you get on.

jazzway and Nighthawk like this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

You would have to be pretty overly generous with the water to cause any major issues - I snow foam and water down my diesel engine bay regularly and it has never caused any issues. Its right to be cautious, but as long as you are careful, it should be just fine. I wouldn't worry too much. As @Nels says, cleaning it by hand might help ease your mind a bit in relation to cleaning the engine bay.

jazzway likes this.
  14. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I cleaned the engine bay this afternoon!:Happy:
    @legend-ary was so kind to PM me and to circle the items on a photo which i had to cover up before spraying with water and APC. I was still very spare with water around any wires i saw and mostly used brushes and microfibers cloths.
    Everything is clean, but the metal doesn't look as clean and shiny as i hoped. All plastic and rubber is dressed with Finish Kare #350.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and encouragement!

image.
    image.
    image.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Wow that's quite a result! Unfortunately as you might have guessed not much can be done about bare metal so you can only clean away the dust and deposits but that's ok as most daily drivers are like that.
    :clap: Glad I could help.

jazzway likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A great improvement. :GoodJob: :likeit:

jazzway likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That's a fantastic job @jazzway :GoodJob:

jazzway likes this.
  18. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks! As for the bare metal i had some hope, but 5+ years neglect can't be undone without replacement or more aggressive products/tools. But overall i am quite happy with the result off my first clean-up of an engine bay. Now it's so smooth i can just use a swiffer after her weekly bath. :cleaning: :Grin:

legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

Excellent stuff... looks fantastic

jazzway likes this.
  20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's looking really good.
    I was like you very cautious about putting water with the electrics but once you have done it (and you have now) and know that all is ok you can do it as and when you like to keep it sparkling .
    Well done great job.

jazzway and Nighthawk like this.