Engine & Gearbox Engine Bay Temps

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JamesS, Friday 19th Dec, 2014.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Hmm.....think this is going to cause a few laughs, but my engine bay gets really hot. My last car (Lexus IS200) had loads of space in and engine practically cooled itself. But although my oil temp is fine on my dash, I think there is a lot of heat build up in the K24 bay.

Does anyone know if this is the case? And if it is has anyone done anything to try and reduce the heat?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yeah bay temps can run pretty high but it's generally not something to be concerned about, except for the performance hit from the heat soak.

There's a few ways to help bring the temps down, intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, wrapping or ceramic coating your exhaust header. Basically, the more heat you can keep within the exhaust system, and the less heat coming through the intake system, the better your performance will be.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Do you think the temperatures are high enough to effect performance?

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Above is correct, but performance is especially better with wrap because the exhaust gasses can not expand that quick in the exhaust and slow down the exhaust stream.
    One of the best ways for NOT suffering from heat sink in engine bay is keeping the intake stock! With my Accord (2 liter petrol) the air is taken at a cool place and at throttle body the temps raise with only a few degrees c° (4...5) when driving. In slow traffic, mayby 10 to 15 degrees is added.
    My previous Honda Civic 1.4 petrol had its (stock) air intake in the engine bay. Whoow mate, temps could easily raise to 40 ... 50 degrees in summer and slow traffic. That was hot!!!
    So my advise: leave the intake as is for performance reasons.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The hotter the air the less dense it is. This is why Cold Air Intakes (CAI) have been proven to yield better performance figures as they pickup cold air from outside of the engine bay.

Short Ram Intakes (SRI) have filters that sit inside the engine bay and therefore can suffer from heat soak. Check out any reviews between SRI and CAI and you'll see the CAI results speak for themselves.

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    No, because air intake is a clever design.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@JamesS are asking about the OEM Honda air intake ? Or an aftermarket one ?

8. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    @SpeedyGee I wasn't asking about a specific intake, personally I prefer using a panel filter in stock intake (going to remove the resonator box when I do some work on the front bumper).

I was concerned about the overall temperature, it is really hot! Lol! Going to heat wrap or ceramic coat the exhaust manifold when I change that, see if that drops the temp. :Smile:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Could this be due to the thermostat?

10. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    My oil temp reads fine and consistent. :Smile:

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wouldn't remove the resonator box as if I remember correctly it's not just sound dampening that it helps, in fact I believe that was just a bonus and the primary reason for the resonator is to do with the airflow. I'm sure I've posted a link on here about it before but I think it's to do with incoming air that doesn't make it through and bounces back and would therefore create some crazy airflow/vortex problem which the resonator helps fix.

I had an SRI in my K24 for about 1 hour. The heat soak was crazy, even at motorway speeds and I lost a fair amount of power. It was a cheap SRI but I think with n/a engines you really need a CAI. If your car is turbocharged then I believe heat soak isn't really an issue with SRI's.

i-DSI likes this.
  12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Arcticfire, you're 100% correct. The resonator box helps with the airflow. You will loose power without.

13. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Looks like I been fed some duff information lads. Will have to have a look at the resonator box myself. Think the first port of call though is the manifold. :Smile:

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi James,

Before you do anything: what is the real data?
    What did you measure? Wat is air intake temperature and what is coolant temperature? That is what really counts, not your 'feeling' when opening the hood.

If air intake temp and coolant are ok, you should not take any measures. And if you want to lower coolant temp, change thermostat, but I wouldn't advise this except for racing.

Nels likes this.
  15. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    There isn't any real data. I personally noted how hot the engine bay seemed when I opened the bonnet, and @DeviateDefiant said that the engine bay temps do run high in previous reply. So assumed that it was common knowledge. Like I said the engine oil temp reads fine, and is consistent so wouldn't mess with the termostat or anything to do with cooling system.

I have previously replaced the radiator in my last car for a aluminum one, but that is because it was huge and weighed a ton, but the accord one looks small, so going to leave it be.

I think the reason why the bay seems a lot hotter is because there isn't much space in this compared to my last car. It had loads of room for air to circulate around.

I am going to check on the air intake temperature when cool and then when the engine is hot, just for curiosities sake. I'd be interested to see if the Honda engineers have got it right, as the air intake and inlet manifold is right behind the radiator.

Yes I know the car only has 190bhp, but in terms of the longevity of the engine it might be something to help it run that little bit longer. And I am planing to replace the exhaust manifold anyway, so heat wrapping or ceramic coating it at the same time isn't really an issue. :Smile:

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The air intake is from in front of the battery and facing directly to the outside of the car. I can't see it being affected by the radiator, when your on the move air will be being forced into from the outside.

Anytime I've monitored the IAT value on OBD it's always been very low.

I think you're worrying about nothing.

17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Correct, don't forget an engine doesn't 'feel' anything.
    It's only affected by coolant temp and AIT. If these values are OK, than bay temp may rise skyhight. Performance won't be affected.

18. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Don't say that you'll hurt its feelings! :Smile:

i-DSI likes this.