Detailing Engine Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Zoot, Wednesday 23rd Apr, 2014.

1. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    OK, stupid me - I checked the oil level and then did a 40 mile round trip. On the return leg I smelt oil and thought it was the car in front. When I got home the smell was still there and on lifting the bonnet discovered I'd not replaced the oil filler cap. What a mess. Bought some oil and the car took approx half a litre.

The main problem is the mess the engine is in. I' emanated to clean the casing and as much as I could reach by hand but I don't have axle stands etc to remove the plastic sump cover etc to get rid of the remainder of the oil.

Can anyone recommend a company in the Leeds area who will steam clean the engine compartment? This is my HUK replacement CR- V and is only 1 month old!

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Ichiban this is your end of the world.
    Any ideas ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sods law I am off to IOM tomorrow night ! I would have offered to look at the car for you no need for steam cleaning strong alkaline will dissolve the oil easily. Zoot I can spare 20 minutes tomorrow at 17:30 drop me a PM if you can I will give you the run down to do it without steam cleaning.

4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Cheers CJ. This sounds as though I'm a bit thick - how do I pm you?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Scroll up to the top of this page >on the top nab bar on the right >Inbox>compose new message>type Ichiban and send me your message.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're not the first and won't be the last, I did it and had quite the fun when I eventually found the cap.

I believe I just cleaned mine down with a microfibre and some spray-on degreaser :Smile:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Forgot to update this thread :telloff:, RON did come the day I was leaving for the IOM the engine was washed twice and quickly detailed to remove all traces of oil. No images of the before as the engine just had oil residue\splatter towards the bulkhead.

The engine was snow foamed with a high alkaline detergent made by autobrite, then another cheery snow foam. Blow dried by a Honda leaf blower and then all plastic and rubber detailed by 303 aerospace protectant.

Sorry Images a bit grainy as I was moving along but the car wasn't:Hooray:. RON I did make it to Liverpool in nick of time for the Ferry.:Icecream:
    photo 5(8).JPG photo 4(7).JPG photo 3(6).JPG photo 2(8).JPG photo 1(10).JPG

Bones126 and AndyB1976 like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BTW Helen is so convinced she is getting a new CR-V , I am concerned its become an obsession. :Nuts:

MickyB likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Women folk are said to have the gift of seeing the future.
    I'd have thought she deserves a CR-V by now :Whistle:
    Hope your bank account is healthy

Nice job on the RON's engine btw.
    Never occurred to me to use the leaf blower for drying it - You've got your uses now and again :Thumbup:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    seeing the future .. baah have to keep on reminding her where the CR-V is made... Bank balance will never look good when buying cars mate. Have been using the leaf blower for yonks its a massive hair dryer.:Wink:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You never struck me as a hairdresser :Rolf:

Ichiban likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good job on the on engine clean CJ :Thumbup:

Leaf blower has many uses ... like stand in one corner of the garage, switch it on .. blow all the dust and dirt out of the garage in one fell swoop :Happy: