Engine & Gearbox Engine Cutting Out

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Wullie Deas, Thursday 11th Dec, 2014.

1. Wullie Deas New Member Getting Started

Wullie Dunfermline
    Hi Guys
    I recently bought a 2005 CR-V & I'm having an issue with it & was wondering of anyone could help. First thing in the morning or if it's been idle all day when I start it it starts up ok. But then when I reverse it & then try to put it into first gear it will cut out & the battery light will come on. Or it will be ok till I approach the first junction then as I come to a halt the revs dip down below 1000rpm & it cuts out & battery light comes on. It restarts then it seems to run ok after it warms up. Any suggestions please.

2. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
  3. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Is the EGR software update something any dealer can advise on and install?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Think the EGR was a good shout, it would throw up the symptoms you're describing @Wullie Deas. In general that kind of stalling/rough idle is often caused by carbon build-up/engine choke, TB and Intake Manifold are other places to check, EGR is definitely the most likely culprit.

@Mark Whitfield - yes any dealer can apply the update, normally years out of warranty they'd charge an hours diagnostic fee, though with known faults you can often swing it a little.

Mark Whitfield likes this.
  5. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Thanks Leo

6. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    Just seen in your intro that the car is petrol. I'd look at the throttle sensor then, as the petrol engines don't suffer from EGR related stuff.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good observation bud, I think a lot have jumped the gun on that without knowing the facts. EGR won't be the issue but you can't diagnose that fault without looking at the car or the history of the car.