Engine & Gearbox Engine keeps dying. A very dangerous problem.

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Fraser May, Tuesday 15th Dec, 2015.

1. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Our 2litre auto has twice developed a really nasty fault. The engine won't idle. My wife was driving it the first time and halfway around a roundabout the engine died, So there she was, no steering, no brakes.... Fortunately this happened at low speed outside a local garage. They took it in and, basically cleaned the throttle body (can't put my hand on the invoice at the mo to check) and it seemed fine. Now a few weeks later it's done it again. Got in to drive my wife to a meeting, started the car and it died and without revving above about 2k wouldn't keep running. Fortunately the car was in the driveway. If it had happened while driving the coast road here on the Isle of Wight it might have had fatal consequences. I've been looking on the web and some fingers point to the IACV. Does anyone have experience of this?
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    This could be any number of things. Could be a vacuum leak, could be IACV, could be sticking TB plate.

There is a guide on here for cleaning throttle body including the IACV it's for a D series engine but the principle is still the same, see here http://hondakarma.com/guides/throttle-body-cleaning.1221/

I bet when the garage cleaned the TB, they didn't separate the IACV to clean the inside of that out.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Completely agree with @SpeedyGee. I once had a car that would not like to idle. Throttle body swapped, camshaft, crankshaft and all other sensors latter I decided to tackle it myself. Swapped the IACV (couldn't clean in my case because it had some weird penta screws which had been stripped by someone) and viola! The issue was resolved.
  4. Fraser May Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fraser Portugal
    Certainly meshes with what I've been reading...lots. I managed to limp it across to our local Honda garage, catching every red light possible on the way - it died every time, I await their diagnosis.... I haven't got a covered place to work here and it's been raining pretty much non stop for the last few days or I'd have had a go at the IACV as it's removal and cleaning would be well within my mechanical abilities...

So thanks for the advice I shall get back to you all when I hear something. Hate to think what they may come up with.