Engine & Gearbox Engine Light Came On Today

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Tuesday 22nd Sep, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Was over visiting the folks for a few days, took my mum out shopping and when we left the supermarket I noticed the engine light stayed on.

The car itself appears to be running sweet. No hesitation, runs just as well as it did before, emissions are free from black smoke or hints of oil. Last service was done in Jan at 152k (according to the log book) and it's on 157k now. I honestly can't fault the engine... I got it home without getting the revs over 2500rpm so I guess I've done about 20 miles with it on... probably less certainly not higher.

The only thing I've done recently is use some Redex in the fuel system which has cleared up some black smoke when accelerating over 3200rpm at WOT. Since using 2 treatments of redex that has cleared up too.

I've ordered one of these
    so I can at least pull the codes. I've been wanting to get one for a while anyway, and it will probably cost me more to take it to a garage and get it plugged in. I'll check the codes and see what's flagged... and clear them to see if it comes back... then I'll replace whatever part it suggests or clean it out.

I don't have a laptop, just several desktops as I wanted to get a wireless one I could leave plugged in. But I prefer my gaming rig, and my media server to a laptop. I've got an old tablet from 2013 and a new phone both on android (4.2 and 5.0.2 respectively).

At this point... I'm completely in the dark until it arrives later this week... but any and all suggestions of common issues to the 2.2 CTDi welcome.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Could be anything. You'll probably find loads of stored historic codes when you read them off.

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@Zebster would you advise me to clear the codes and then see if it comes back?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes. It will be confusing otherwise. A real problem, which you do appear to have, will report itself. All you have to do then is work out what's causing the problem!

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

agreed with @Zebster
    It depends on what historic codes are stored (if any) If there is just one, then that might be the cause, clear it and see if it comes back.

I had an intermittant fault with my EGR valve, it would stick, give it tap and it was fine for abit. This used to put the engine light on and I would reset the code using a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque Pro app on my android phone.

6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK... I'm confused even more. I'd let the car sit since yesterday afternoon... But had to head home today. I'd renewed my breakdown cover (just in case) but it's only a 25m drive back home.

Went out, got in the car... turned the ignition on, checked the lights... started it and the engine light stayed on for a couple of seconds and then went out. Just in case it was a blown bulb, I turned it of and back on again. I stopped on the way home to get something from the shops, and again it remained off.

I'll clear them when the reader arrives... but I am now wondering if it's something intermittent as @Harvey suggested or perhaps weather/moisture related. We had non stop rain, enough to cause some puddles along some roads. I'm wondering if water/moisture got into a plug somewhere or something. Because once more she drove sweet as anything home tonight.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Meh... That's not unusual. When you get your reader you'll find out what it is.

Heckler likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your OBD reader should tell you if there are any pending codes as well.
    the light being on for long enough should have set the code on the computor, and if the fault reoccures, but its not out of spec then it might not set the light again but show it as a possible fault.

It does this on the Torque app at least.

Heckler likes this.
  9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I miss the days of owning an OBDI car, when you could pull the codes with nothing more than a small piece of solid core wire and a 12v LED. :Smile:

Harvey likes this.
  10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It could have been something as simple as a slight blockage in the fuel line somewhere and it's now passed through. The Redex may have caused and ultimately sorted this.

The SAAB we recently picked up threw up a code straight after he filled the tank up locally. He shoved some of that good tuv fuel system cleaner and it's now stayed off. Could have just been a bit of crap in the fuel system.

Heckler likes this.
  11. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm waiting on a new fuel filter as we speak @ArcticFire was planning on doing that anyway.

12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

All the filters have arrived... just waiting on the ODBII reader so I can check and clear... But I've used the car every day this week for minor trips and it's not come back on once aside from when you turn the ignition on, it lights up then goes out... It's the paranoia I hate, constantly worrying that it might come back.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tell me about it, I drove with that feeling every time I went on long trips. Would it come back on, would it not?

Heckler likes this.
  14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, reader has arrived today... so tomorrow I want to pull the codes. I know it's supposed to be in the passenger footwell... But does anyone know exactly where and if I need to remove any trim panels?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The DLC (A) connector is near the bonnet catch look up and it below the dash. The connector is visible and you don't need to remove anything. RHD drive is same location.

upload_2015-9-26_21-26-52.

Heckler likes this.
  16. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers @Ichiban I was obviously reading something that was defaulting to LHD cars. Good job I asked otherwise I'd have been pulling all the trim panels of on the wrong side. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Aye, good shout, I was gonna say its under the carpet in the passenger footwell, but that only applies to the 6th Generation.

18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was able to use the OBDII reader this morning, fairly easy to plug in and use. Simple easy to read LCD. Had a quick scan of the manual, plugged it in and as soon as you connect it switches itself on. Started the engine and let it idle for a minute or two, then ran through and read the stored codes.

There was only one... Intake runner valve open.

I made a note of it and then cleared the system. Left the car running for a further 10 mins, once warmed up a little I took the revs upto around 2000rpm and held it there for 15 seconds. Ran the scan again and no codes reported.

I went through all the options and checked everything I could, I got a few back saying module not supported. I also checked the live diagnostics but to be honest I doubt i would have been able to spot anything wrong there. It idles fine at 832rpm with no A/C on.

So I just need to find out what that code means, if it's common and what to do to resolve it from happening again.

As for the reader... it was cheaper than taking it to a garage to find out the same thing and I can use it again and again.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Swirl flap sticking, solenoid(s) knackered, cracked pipe stem or perhaps even worth cleaning the EGR valve? Just some thoughts from the top of my head.

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Was it a P2004, a P2008, or something else?