Engine & Gearbox Engine light

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by jay0001, Friday 11th Apr, 2014.

1. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Hi all...

The mrs has just told me the engine light has just come :Frown:

Does anyone know where port is for the fault code scanner on the FR-V? a friend has a fault code scanner so I can find out whats wrong with it before I take it off to the dealer.... Or do you think I should just take it straight to the dealer?

Advice would be much appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What has happened or changed on the car for that to happen? There are loads of code reader but if the error code is from a subsystem like ABS or others it will never pick them up. Check out threads with the torque app and bluetooth OBD connectors if you have a smart phone.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Following on from what CJ said, there's a few members on the site with HDS they may be able to run on the car for you which works with the subsystems like ABS etc. The port is probably under the steering wheel, above the pedals, just have a feel around and you'll find it :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The S2000 is the only modern Honda car that I know has the OBD connector in the passenger side footwell the FR-V is the same under the driver side footwell..towards the A pillar

5. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Interogated the mrs and advised that shes done nothing out of the ordinary... She did say it was coming on intermittantly?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've had mine randomly flag a MIL in the past that never showed it's head again thereafter. You're going to need something plugged up if you want to find the answer mate, as CJ said, generic ODB2 won't be able to read some of the bespoke Honda subsystems.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You sure its the engine MIL? just check the engine oil and has the car gone into limp mode ?

8. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    She also said there was no change in power or the way the drove... Going to take it for a test drive on the morning.

Anyone with HDS near newcastle??

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Me in Leeds will do it for free.

10. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    When are you free ?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tomorrow and next week at home off work :Happy:

12. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Great I'll do a bit diagnostics over the weekend if I have no luck I'll arrange to come round next week... Thanks loads CJ

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem, drop me a PM and we will hook up.

14. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Managed to get it sorted.... coolant sensor that caused the problem.

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.