Engine & Gearbox Engine Management light came on

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by westcorkaccord, Wednesday 12th Aug, 2015.

1. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Driving home this evening I noticed the VSA in the central display and its indicator light on the top right hand side. I can not remember if the car conked or had no acceleration as the road was narrow and I was on a bend, I think the engine management light was on as well. I move one km to a layby and stopped, all looked OK under the bonnet. I took out the manual and on page 530 it said to turn the car on and off three times, I did this and no good. I had 30 miles to go home so I drove on. First I reset trip counter B and the MPG went up to 80mpg ( my one on trip B was showing 58mpg which in the tank is about 49mpg) which it never does it dropped down to 75mpg after ten miles and then 68 for the next ten. Near home it dropped to 63mpg. When I got home I stopped the car and then restarted. The fault is now gone and I went for a quick three mile spin and no light coming on and stopped and restarted when I got home and all looks OK. Any ideas for next test ?

Car 7th Generation 2008 ICTDI 2.2 saloon EX with out filter. 127,000 miles on clock

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd ignore it for now. If it comes back again, quickly get the code read and post here so we can advise further.

3. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Thanks for that, just some other bit of info I was thinking about today. For the last number of years the MPG in the tank has been 47 to 49mpg and the trip computer has been around 51-52mpg. Since around the start of the year the MPG in the tank is still the same but the trip computer has start to go up to 58mpg. I am wondering what sensor operates the trip computer. For a while now when I drive the car, I only drive to the limit and I am alway on a busy road, the car feels like it is running out of fuel and seems to drive on again. I don't notice the rev counter dropping and if I floor the trottle it takes off like a rocket. Most spins in the car are around 50 minutes long and the average mph on the trip computer are between 35 and 37mph.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Has the fuel filter ever been changed?

5. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Every 25,000 miles. The present one was changed at 112,500 miles. Fuel is bought from the same place all the time and I cut up every second filter to see if their is any waxing or bitumen in there.

6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Mine VSA kept coming on and off again first once every few weeks, then days, then just stayed on. It may be the VSA module slowly degrading as it happened to mine until I had it repaired.

7. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Today the same problem happen, got it to my local garage and it shows up accelerator sensor fault. It has been six weeks since this has happen. Part replacement cost is £200 and I would wonder if the problems all along are because of this and not a fuel issue ?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This is a very common issues on the diesels @westcorkaccord, VSS sensors are known for going, as well as the modulator itself eventually (on the I-CTDI). Use the site search as this has been discussed many times over :Smile:

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think this now sounds like an unrelated Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor problem, which is not uncommon. Partial dismantling and a blast of electrical switch cleaner may provide a cure, if you're lucky (this stuff is an excellent switch cleaner, btw...No Nonsense Penetrating Lubricating Oil 750ml | Lubricants | Screwfix.com

What diagnostic trouble code did the garage actually read? Would their diagnostics have read ABS/VSA codes (many don't!)? The APP fault code may have been an old one that happened to be stored on the ECU...

10. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I do not have the code, I will be there on Friday and will get the code then and carry out the sensor a & b high and low voltage tests before the new APP( accelerator) unit is fitted.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm just worried that the garage may only be reading an old (inactive?) stored powertrain code, when the real problem may actually be an active code correctly relating to the VSA/ABS system, but which their equipment cannot read... I cannot imagine how an APP sensor issue would cause the VSA/ABS warning light.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The VSA/ABS will deactivate itself anytime there is a engine related PID thrown. It plays it safe and assumes that it can no longer safely take control.

13. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    When this happen in 12 August, it was reset at the time. On Wednesday it was the only reading up on the laptop. My wife had the car if I was there I would have looked for more info. But then again if the was an older alarm than Wednesday and the garage was unable to read the VSA/ABS then this could be true. Then when the APP alarm for the accelerator sensor came up would this have shown up a warning light or warning message ? The car somes times feels like it is slow to respond to my right foot. But theb last Wednesday week I drove up the country and back on cruise control each way at 143 miles and no problems with four in the car.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If the car runs the same on cruise control as on a manual throttle, then the APP is unlikely to be faulty. In fact, the common way to test an APP sensor is to compare throttle response to how the car accelerates when hitting 'resume' when well below the set speed.

15. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I will try that later on today, thanks.

16. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Just a question, when the APP(accelerator sensor) goes into alarm do the VSA and engine management lights come on ?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes, I believe an APP code would cause the VSA/ABS lights to come on (as well as Engine management light of course).

18. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    It happen again this morning and reset its self 20miles later on the fourth restart. when the car got to the garage this is what the PC said " P1238 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor Switch A/B Voltage Correlation" . I presume the APP unit is two potentiometers and if in one of them the wiper moves away from the track it sets of the alarm. I would think Honda used two for redundancy.

19. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Had a look this morning and checked both potentiometers. One is around 3.3 k ohm and this one worked OK when the pedal is pressed. The other one is around 6.8 k ohm this one only goes down to 3.83 k ohn (terminals 1,3) and up to 2.7 k ohm (terminals 2,3) this would show that 6.8 k ohm potentiometer is faulty. I should have the new APP unit mid week.

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Maybe the two pots are meant to be different values?

Can you get any switch cleaner in there?