Engine & Gearbox Engine management light illuminated

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by boincuk, Thursday 21st Feb, 2013.

1. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    The engine management light illuminated on my 2002 Accord 2.0 VTEC petrol saloon. Had it checked out and it showed code P1166 - which according to the magic manual on codes states "heated oxygen sensor 1 bank 1". I assume this is the Lambda sensor that is situated on the front of the manifold. I also understand that Honda's do not like other sensors than the original Denso ones. Can somebody confirm please and any ideas where I might get one at a reasonable price !

- - - Updated - - -

Should have said that engine is F20B6

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It is advisable to stick with the OEM one but I think that it may cost over £150.

- - - Updated - - -

A denso one not sourced via Honda maybe an option ...

http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartDetails.aspx?s_pc=SMP-LAM048&s_vid=

3. vtecscotty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm having a similar problem I am getting the P0141 powertrain o2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2. Which am led to believe is the sensor on the cat and not the one on the downpipe. I should say I have a 1999 accord Type-R, I replaced the sensor with a non OEM one and reset the EML and all was good untill I went to start the car in the morning, and to my dismay the EML came back on. So I reset it again and well you know where I'm going with this lol. Is this because its a non genuine 1? As I'm pulling my hair out with this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are the wires in the plug ok? Is it a cheap non genuine one or a decent make non genuine one? I had a non gen one in my Civic for 4 years and never had any problems with it since it was changed.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes sensor 2 is post cat (as you call it, on the cat)

What exactly did you replace the sensor with ?

6. vtecscotty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I stupidly replaced it with a cheap eBay one. I'm thinking that is my problem so am gna buy a better one and see how it goes. I have double checked all the wires and they are all ok

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ideally you would want to buy a new one but they cost nearly £200 so in my opinion its better to look for a second hand one actually that comes from an Accord Type-R. Just make sure you get some assurance from the source you buy it off that it works.

8. vtecscotty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok I bought a new sensor this time a genuine Honda one but the problem is still the same, also the car seems to have gotten a new problem when at idle it feels like its misfireing and the revs are fluctuating between 1k and 0 almost cutting out but seems to run fine when driving and when I dip the clutch and let the revs drop I get the same problem of it nearly stalling maybe this is linked to the problem I have with the o2 sensor?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If its stalling and hunting (revs going up and down) that indicates that you have a vacuum leak or a stuck/faulty IACV.

Have you checked the wiring going to the O2 senser and the connector for the O2 sensor for damage/bent pins/pins that have got pushed out of the connector.

10. vtecscotty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The new sensor was fitted by a garage this time so I can only assume they did all those checks or hope they did. I'll have to look at the IACV and give it a clean or even swap it over from my other car .

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    02 sensors for Honda are really sensitive wideband sensors and they are really accurate. Aftermarket stuff cannot read or supply these accurate readings and hence the reason why they are so expensive.

just for your info a heater element failure will give ECM wrong reading on cold start up and on throttle wide open other than that in normal working conditions it will be fine over time due to wrong fuelling the cat will be degraded.

12. vtecscotty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got a Denso sensor from the guys at VTEC direct as a direct replacement. Not installed it yet tho but they assure me it will work. The idle revs seem to have sorted themselves out :Smile: