Engine & Gearbox Engine Management Warning i-Dtec

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by IrishAccordTourer, Saturday 29th Dec, 2012.

1. IrishAccordTourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I saw a post on the 7 generation forum re the engine management warning coming on. I've a 2008 2.2 I-DTEC accord (177 BHP). The engine management light came on, went off after a few minutes, felt some hesitation, light stayed off. Later the light came on and stayed on, I had to drive it for 35miles.

I tried the car after 8 hours and no warning appeared, no hesitation.

I was thinking fuel or air would cause the slight hesitation, probably too simplistic. IchibanAccord advised a service (thanks).

Rang a mechanic, not honda trained who guessed that a reboot of the EMU could do it.

Car has been serviced as required by Honda dealer.

Apologies for the long post and Happy New Year!

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi IrishAccord,
    It's difficult to give any advise apart from what Ichiban told you: without having the car + diagnostic equipment with you it's impossible to tell you what's wrong and guessing is the best one can do.
    I might be wrong, but a 177 BHP from 2008 ? Thought in 2008 only the 150 BHP version was available. Or... do you have an engine tuned version?

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The 180BHP Type-S was also available at launch in 2008 if I recall correctly...(which is also a 2.2 I-DTEC machine).

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Must have been UK only? I checked the catalogues from the Netherlands and Sweden: no 180 BHP in 2008 - 2009. I remember not in Belgium neither.

Attached Files:

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Saja, I did some further research: TypeS 180 BHP diesel was presented first time only in March 2009, so not available at launch 2008, and it does not exist in a 2008 version as thread opener states. I've found also a UK leaflet presenting the typeS diesel, issued September 2009.
    For what it's worth: backed up by Wikipedia (dead link removed by staff)

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The OP states his car is 2008 - the Autocar link shows a "58" plate Type-S (post-Sept 2008 registration in the UK).

So perhaps yes, it was in 2009, but its evident from the Autocar link the Type-S was definitely around in late 2008/early 2009 even if it went on sale later. Maybe the OP meant to say 2009 but on a "58" plate, since the "58" plate in the UK runs 1 Sept 2008 -28 Feb 2009. Maybe the OP can explain....

8. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I'm by far an expert on these cars but like mentioned above needs diagnostic. Have you been having cold weather in Ireland?? What I have experienced with my I-CTDI in the winter months the fuel filter can cause a few problems with hesitation and EML but this is only what I have experienced in the past.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland....poor quality diesel....red diesel maybe?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    More than likely :Frown:

11. IrishAccordTourer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No - Diesel is sold at the same specs as in the UK. Unless you make it yourself....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All,

Not great at updating my earlier post, apologies.

So it was not poor quality diesel.....though I'm curious to know why this was mentioned.

The car was taken in by a Honda dealer a day after the post. It needed a new fuel sensor. Honda said this was a common fault but not a recall. The EMU automatically reduced the power output in reaction to the fuel sensor fault.

Yes its a 180bhp model. I take it easy and clocked up 15k since purchase in Nov 2012. Great car....very rare here. Always returns over 50mpg.

Thanks for all the advice

Last edited: Friday 17th May, 2013
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi all,

My engine management light came on this evening as I pulled out onto the main road after work.

There was no power loss and the car ran as normal.

However, when I started the car it did not fire the first turn of the ignition key but fired up no issues second time.

All I have done today is fill up with Shell Fuelsave Diesel. I had 1/4 of a tank left and I always try to ensure I never run the tank right down.

My first thought was have I filled with unleaded by mistake but I checked my receipt and it definitely says diesel.

I switched the ignition off and back on again but it made no difference.

I rang my dealer but I'd just missed service so will ring them tomorrow.

My initial thoughts are dirty/contaminated fuel maybe.

I only use branded fuel if I can - usually Shell Vpower Nitro+ but last 2 tanks have been Shell fuelsave diesel

However about 1.5-2 hours later I started the car again and the warning light has not come on again.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers :Thumbup:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get into your car , let it idle for 10 minutes then cane it for the next 20 minutes on the road. Job done,

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers. Will try that tomorrow mate.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought I would start it up before ringing the dealer this morning and see if the light was still off and it was.

I took it for a bit of a run get it warmed up and see if the engine management light would come on again and it stayed off.

I still rang the dealer just for piece of mind really and they said it shouldn't be anything to worry about as the light was staying off. I think the engine management on I-DTEC can be a bit sensitive sometimes.

I'm going to monitor it over the weekend and the dealer said to bring it in on Monday if necessary if the light does come back on again and they'll look at it.

I suppose a couple of minutes hooked up to HDS will tell them all they need to know.

So good news so far. :Hooray:

Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just arrived at Premier Inn Pontefract ready for tomorrow's meet at the show.

Car has been perfect all the way here running sweet as

SpeedyGee likes this.