Engine & Gearbox Engine noise changes when clutch depressed....

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Blue Toffee, Wednesday 26th Mar, 2014.

1. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok maybe im being paranoid about a DMF issue, but I have noticed that the engine (well I think its the engine) noise changes when I depress the clutch, on tickover and this is mostly noticeable when cold and sat in the car with doors shut there is a definite knocking sound (typical rough diesel/big end type noise) however when I press the clutch the noise disappears, now the paranoid in me says this could be the DMF or clutch release bearing, however the noise is a constant knock and not so much of a rattle that the DMF seems to be.
    The car has done 37000 miles but im not sure how hard those miles have been driven, whether motorway ( I suspect not) or town /short journeys.
    Any advise would be appreciated guys.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can't say definitively without stripping it can be a simple as release bearing or DMF but you will only know when it's out of the car.

3. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I know its hard one to diagnose, however I got it the wrong way round, the noise appears when I press the clutch and not just on tick over, when it is on tick over and out of gear the engine sounds as sweet as a nut...does that change anything?

4. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi Blue Toffee,

Mines does exactly the same, and its on 57K.

I have read a review of the car that said exactly the same, I am not worried as I read the review and knew what to expect before I bought it.

I will try and find it now and post a link :Smile:

5. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Blue Toffee likes this.
  6. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that Neil, that's pretty much what mine does!

7. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No problem, Im glad I read that before purchasing as I would have been of your opinion and worried what it was.

The only diesels I have run before were the older VAG TDI 130's in a Fabia VRS and an A4 and the JTD in the fiat stilo, neither had this characteristic so it does feel odd.

I guess its something that the facelift may have reduced or even overcome as I've read a few reviews stating that it is somewhat quieter than our variants.

Still, now I know its normal I just ignore it. :Smile:

8. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will be hard for me to ignore for a while, especially as I also have a new 2.0TDi 150 Golf to compare it with, but im sure I will get used to it, just turn the music up!

9. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can imagine,

Off topic but how does the Accord compare to the Golf? I was considering a GTD but I wanted the Honda for reliability and for the fact its a bit less common.

PS - I came from the smooth engine of the Type-R that was in all honestly silent at stand still, so anything else feels/sounds like a tractor! LOL.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Why are you considering going diesel Nelf ? Is it for the economy ?

11. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Of course, yes, sorry I didn't fully read that sentence you said "I was considering a GTD.."

13. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Golf is a lot smoother all round and certainly quieter, torque wise I think they are pretty much similar, well until I get a remap on the Honda.
    The Golf has the stop/start business going on and the emergency in town braking which scares the sh*t out of you, but generally I am very happy with the Golf. The wife drives the Honda more than me, I only use it when we go away at weekends then its DPF clearout time !

14. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine does the same thing, a kind of increased diesel rumble until the clutch is fully released....it's not bad but in a quiet car it's noticeable. There have been threads on the forum about this but they always refered to the 2.4 engine in the sport models.....perhaps the 2.2 is prone to this as well.

15. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah it certainly doesn't sound like a DMF noise, just an overly loud diesel knock, as during tick over its relatively quiet and also when running in gear. It is also more noticeable inside the cabin, which leads me to think that its the noise from the engine being transmitted through some kind of pipe/carrier as when I put my head under the car or in the engine bay I can hardly hear the difference when the clutch is pressed.