Engine & Gearbox Engine Noise

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 31st Mar, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry if this is a bit vague but it's tricky to describe! lol

Since buying the car I've always noticed a subtle yet strange noise which happens if you change gear at around 2,000rpm and then as the revs drop you hear the noise. It's a kind of scoring noise from what sounds like a part which rotates and is suddenly suffering excessive friction or something. It also happens when the car is stationary and in neutral and you rev it to 2,000rpm so this would rule out any gearbox related issues. The clutch and DMF are brand new.

It's at its loudest and most obvious when the engine is cold and quietens up when warm, however, if you take the car to about 3,500rpm and change gear then very occasionally it will occur but very loud and very grinding sounding.

My first gut feeling was the Turbo but I was speaking with our mechanic and he reckons it isn't as you'd probably be losing power which I'm not. My next chain of thought is a tensioner or bearing around the serpentine belt area, perhaps even the power steering pump or something? I'm sure it has to be something which is under tension whilst the engine revs increase and then upon the release of this tension it's causing whatever it is to have friction or contact of some form?

Honda have looked at it but couldn't find the problem, I saw them twiddle with something around the air filter housing area which they said had quietened it down but I'm not so sure if it really did. They then said that the remaining noise was just induction noise, but this doesn't add up as you would get it upon accelerating and besides there's a definite metallic scoring sound to it and the sound volume starts loud then dies away making me believe it's related to a part which is rotational.

Also, is there anything related to the turbo which could make this grinding type sound upon the release of pressure but that wouldn't necessarily effect the performance of the turbo at the moment?

I managed to capture the sound today at the 3,500rpm point and it was seriously loud, although unfortunately drowned out a little by the radio. I had a BMW coming up my arse fast as I pulled out so had to put the foot down a little but you can hear it when I'm changing into 3rd.

If I get a chance I'm going to take the serpentine belt off this evening and check the various bearings/tensioners etc but has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    With the belt off, I'd run it for a short while to see if the noise is still on that side of the engine. It just might be an engine chain. But that's a very much worst-case scenario, so good to rule it out.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    May have found the issue. Got to love old school mechanics lol He went straight to the air housing and lifted the lid, the noise is coming straight out of the inlet tube. Could be a faulty MAF sensor.

Last edited: Wednesday 1st Apr, 2015
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Was the MAF/iat connector disturbed? That would cause that code.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Never touched it although I've had this code with the yaris before and it needed cleaned. Code aside, I can't think of anything else in that area that could be causing a problem though.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If your CEL/MIL wasn't lit this was just an old stored code and probably unrelated to the current problem (you didn't mention any warning lights). See if it returns after deletion.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye it was lit. Possible that running the car for a min without cover sealed may have done it? I've also noticed a little bit of oily substance on the engine side of the airbox. Do you know what could cause that?

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Fumes rising up from the crankcase breather system after the engine is turned off, mostly.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Anything to worry about?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nothing to worry about there Graham.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We've been chatting further and are now ruling out the MAF sensor as it would probably throw a code up all the time surely? I had disconnected the battery and removed it to retrieve a screw which had fallen so possibly that could also have caused the light to ping up.

He is definitely thinking it's airflow related, especially as when you remove the air box cover the difference is pretty big, it's almost as if the air flow is being restricted somehow with the cover on. Is it possible something is blocking the resonator or something? I'm thinking next stage may be to hook up torque or plug in my scanner and monitor the air flow rates with the cover on and off.

I don't want to contact Honda again until I'm more sure of what it could be but what else in in there? After the air box it's into the turbo but as said it seems fine, no power loss etc.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Came across this thread, sounds similar but possible rules out any turbo issues: Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda CR-V | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do you have an OEM air filter?

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No but it does it with an OEM one also. I was thinking about this as it's probably the first thing they would say also. Picking an OEM one up this afternoon to rule this out (hopefully not though!)

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    OEM air filter in but still makes the noise. Didn't really think it would make a difference but worth a shot I guess. Honda have said to bring it back in if wanted but did say it's difficult as the real loud noise is so intermittent. I think I'd rather investigate further myself first.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Found some people who have had exactly the same problem with their audis and it seems their VACUUM SWITCH SOLENOID VALVE was causing the problem. I wonder if this could also be my issue?

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A Honda with same issues as Audis !!?? No that can't be right ! It just can't ! :Devil:

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was desperate...

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was chatting with my uncle tonight and he reckoned it may be a vacuum leak perhaps and advised checking over all the engine nuts and bolts first to make sure they are all tight. I don't want to over tighten any of them though, is there a diagram anywhere which shows the correct torque settings for all these including surrounding components?

Here's another video showing it twice at the 2,000rpm low speed when changing out of 2nd gear. It's always most obvious when the engine is cool. Damn annoying!

19. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I have a similar noise that I posted in another thread. But I can't seem to post the link here!

I can't record mine though, so guess it's not as loud.

If you Rev yours to 3000rpm and then release the throttle quickly, do you hear it as the revs drop?

I also notice mine driving up through the gears, 2nd to 3rd is most noticeable, but think this is just because road noise etc quieter.

Is yours a CDTI engine?

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye diesel. Booked in with Honda now as I'd rather it was looked at now in case it develops into something more serious.