Electrical & Lights Engine Oil Additives In a Jazz Hybrd

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 3rd Sep, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just a quick cautionary advise to all members running low viscosity oil. Today we are running oil as thin from 0w-20 to 0w-30 and a still today a few people who still think adding additional engine additives to the engine oil is a good idea. Their reasoning behind this choice is a old fashioned belief such additives will fortify the oil and make their engines run better.:nea:

I have never been an advocate of engine oil additives,if you adding additives that means you are using the wrong specification of oil.

I have just come off a phone with a 2012 Honda Jazz Hybrid owners who has been running his car with the correct grade oil..BUT had a major issue with engine additive. He had the car serviced at the dealership using Genuine Honda Hybrid green oil but added a a famous American company (three alphabets ) oil treatment additive to the engine oil when he got back home.

The following day the whole family goes for a drive and the car stopped within 20 minutes of leaving his house with the oil light on, the owner quickly turned off the engine and called the AA man to recover his car.

At the dealership they ran all the test to find oil level perfect and oil pressure low !! on and on draining the oil it was found to be in a thick jelly state.:Aghast:

Luckily no engine damage has occurred by quick actions of the car owner, the oil has been drained and then flushed out and has been replaced with the green oil only.

Please take note of this warning.:Wink:

DeviateDefiant and ACC-CDI-2T like this.
  2. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    In the book "Practical Handbook of Machinery Lubrication,” the following description is listed:
    "Increasing the percentage of a certain additive may improve one property of an oil while at the same time degrade another. When the specified concentrations of additives become unbalanced, overall oil quality can be affected. Some additives compete with each other for the same space on a metal surface. If a high concentration of an anti-wear agent is added to the oil, the corrosion inhibitor may become less effective. The result may be an increase in corrosion-related problems." (..example..)

Last edited: Tuesday 3rd Sep, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It makes sense to me. When you go out for a posh meal do you head into the kitchen and thrust a fistful of Basil into the chef's hand?!! hehe

Ichiban likes this.
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why would anyone think with modern oils you need to add anything to it?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Older folks still living on the redex dream.. Lol the miracle snake oil.

6. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

We're all singing off the same hymn sheet by the looks of it. It amazes me why people feel the need to play at chemistry with their car engines. Those oils specified for your engine are engineered to very high specifications by some very smart people.
    In my younger slightly naive days, I remember putting Slick50 into an engine which had relatively few miles on it. It felt like a bag of nails after that, so much so, I had to drain it out and start afresh with the manufacturers specified oil. It cost me a lot of money to realize my mistake and if I remember rightly a couple of grazed knuckles as well. I think that's called Karma. :Blushing:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

All this makes me wonder how these products are able to be sold these days. Having looked at a few websites, they all tend to make pretty bold claims for their various products and how they make your car run better / more economically / longer / even fix a failing and worn engine...!:Rolf:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

You will be surprised to know the snake oil market in the UK is worth a cool 7 million pounds every year. so that like say one in ten members on HK is a snake oil believer and is secretly using such products in silence.:Foolish:

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    We should start a new thread and begin a name and shame campaign. 'My names ......... and I'm a snake oil addict!'. :Rolf:

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The name's Plissken, but call me Snake and I use Forte Fuel Cleaner. But nothing goes in with the oil :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump all Jazz Hybrid GP1 onwards please take note. :Hey:

12. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I prefer Snakebite - inner lubricant for the soul :lol:

Ichiban likes this.