Engine & Gearbox Engine Oil Specification For DPF (i-DTEC)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Service News, Thursday 3rd Nov, 2011.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    I-DTEC engine was the first Diesel engine in the Honda stable to receive a DPF for the UK market. As part of this new change the selection of the correct grade and type of oil is very crucial. I-DTEC owners are instructed to ONLY use low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) fully synthetic 0w-30 Engine oil that meet ACEA C2/C3 specification.

It is so curial that owners are aware and can easily identify this unique oil from the mass of various specifications and vendors.

Honda stance on this subject is as follows.

With the continuing growth in Diesel registrations, the introduction of DPF's, low oil level sensors and variable servicing intervals the correct grade and specification of oil has become more important than ever. It is vitally important to use the correct ACEA specification of oil in cars equipped with DPF's as the use of the incorrect specification will result in the DPF becoming clogged with particles called SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur), these particles cannot be broken down by the DPF resulting in it losing efficiency and eventually becoming blocked.

Honda strongly recommends the use of of 0W/30 fully synthetic lubricants that meet ACEA C2/C3 specification

Honda dealers stock SLX Professional Powerflow C3 which is DPF compliant oil , if you cannot get this oil or choose to use our own favourite oil company take care of the grade and type.

Attached Files:

the aul man likes this.
  2. tommy_gt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

uk
    Honda strongly recommends the use of of 0W/30 fully synthetic lubricants that meet ACEA C2/C3 specification

i am using CASTROL EDGE 5W-40 f/synthetic oil in my 8th Generation accord I-CDTI 2.2 it says that it is compatible with engines fitted with DPF. It was blocked twice in 3 weeks and now is being replaced. Should i still using this kind of oil??
    thanks

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You should immediately change the oil to the correct grade and specification the oil your are using is Wrong.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not directly implying Tommy here but generalising

People please note what happens when you use incorrect oil and the DPF gets blocked. Why do a minority of diesel owners think they know better than the manufacturer and these are the ones who have most of the issues.

It is not rocket science follow the instruction to the letter you will be fine if you don't.. EXPECT the car to break down and it should to remind you to stop ignoring the instructions. Then introspect yourself and honestly say who is the fool .. You or Honda.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Which oil for my Accord

Hi guys,:Smile: What oil should the 8th Generation I-DTEC have?:Unknown: Honda Telford used 5w30 and said thats what Honda recommend and that they wouldn't use anything else. Its been about 5000 miles/ 6 months since the major service and the car doesnt seem as quiet as it did. I tried mentioning that I thought it might have needed 0w30 and was told to ignore whats said on forums as basically they know nothing:Foolish:.

I've misplaced my service book so I can't look anything up.:telloff:

If anyone knows where I can get some cheap oil from that would be great:Thumbup: Halforsds seems expensive.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Which oil for my Accord

I'll let the I-DTEC gurus answer your question.

But I really having to bite my tongue and not come out with a load of expletives.

The collective knowledge on any forum is immense, especially so when they are true enthusiasts, it's not to be shunned or disregarded. Shame on that dealer for saying such a thing.

Last edited: Monday 4th Mar, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Threads moved into here Jace, ignore everything that person at that dealer told you it clear they are recommending that oil purely out of cost.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

0W-30 is the way to go Jace :Thumbup:

Racy Jace likes this.
  9. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All

ACEA C2 and C3. C3 is without fuel eco considerations i believe.

Is this the only difference?

Is C3 better than C2 or is this just sitting hairs ?

I 'm asking as i just wonder which is absolute best for my I-DTEC.

Thx

10. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyway, just a small update. I bought a 25L 0-30W SAPS from Lubetech - great service and the proper Honda quality oil (yup I researched it and was happy it is SAPS and AC2 standard). Unbeateable bang for the buck!

This is how I did the oil change on my car - (disclaimer: try it at your own risk. This is how I did it, NOT how you should do it ad infinitum....)

Bought a 25L drum from Lubetech (0-30W SAPS of course)
    And paid £10 for the 5L jug+funnel (don't skimp. Strong BUY on this puppy because it is probably best £10 you ever spent! See below)

1. Got the Pela 600 out. And sucked the oil out. The tube goes vertically down without bending in the Accord engine block so I am hopeful it sucked a larger than normal amount of oil.

don't lose sleep over sucking out every last drop because that won't happen, even if you drain from below. Just fret about sticking to short oil changes (every 5k miles for me).

P1010113_zps6d494e42.

2. Then change the Honda oil filter!

3. Oil drum > funnel > jug. I did 4.5L to start with but probably more like 5L.

P1010112_zpsbcfc7a42.

4. Then over to the engine and remove that pithy excuse of a oil cap. This is where the funnel and jug comes into its own as you then put the funnel into the engine and pour like nobody's business!

P1010114_zps0389459c.

Leave to settle and check the level - top up if necessary.

Get yourself a crisp cold beer/hot cup of tea and give yourself a nice pat on the back!

ACC-CDI-2T and Ichiban like this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Goodman change the oil every 6k and you will keep the diesel gremlins away .

12. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got badly burned £££-wise with my previous car, a VW Passat. The manufacturer spec oil change interval was too far apart. I got worn camshaft (£450) at 120k miles. Not soon after, then the ABS pump failed as the brake fluid had not been changed often enough - it became hydroscopic and buggered up the ABS pump sensor (£500) to get replacement as it is a sealed unit.

Then I got the Accord and first thing was changed engine, brake and gearbox oil at 121k miles.

I am now on 125k and did the oil change myself. Then at 130k will go for the minor service at my local Honda (Lightcliffe).

You can say I got an expensive T-shirt and key ring!

13. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay guys and gals.

I checked the top up and it was over 5L.

Referenced to the Accord Owner's Handbook - using an oil sucker such as the Pela 6000 on the Accord engine really does such as much as an oil drain (my previous Passat did not and only sucked 75% of oil drain). Result.

I am chuffed - so anyone who frets about sucking every last drop out can rest easy. I done the research.

Suckers!

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    royalblue likes this.
  15. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Your Oil Compulsive Drain (OCD) is worse than mine!:Smile:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oil change and frequents ones is a cheapest insurance you can buy for any Honda.