Engine & Gearbox Engine oil storage/degradation

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Tuesday 12th Jan, 2016.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm thinking of buying the Optima LSH 0w30 Fully Synthetic Low Saps Engine oil ACEA C-2 from Lubetech for 6,000m engine oil/filter changes. Given the oil/filter changes at the annual dealer service, this would last 4 years! Does engine oil degrade over time, and are there any particular storage conditions required? In normal event it would be stored in my garage throughout the seasonal variations in temperature.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi Lisbon, you don't say if it's a Petrol or Diesel model you have. You need ACAE C-3 for a diesel. Something to do with the low acidic properties needed for EGR and to help prevent DPF contamination.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Bomber209 If you look at the car he has entered into the Club Garage, (picture and overview at the bottom of his post) then you will see he has a N16A CR-V. The N16A engine is the 1.6 1-DTEC diesel unit.
    The recommended oil is 0W-30 ACEA C2/C3
  5. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for replies.
    Seems to me that moisture absorption by oil stored in an opened container would be the main concern. Thinking about it, if stored in dry conditions, I would get 3 mid service changes in 2 years and it would still work out cheaper.